News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Crankshaft dowell pins for a 38

Started by Tom Beaver, April 02, 2014, 12:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Beaver

Does anyone know of a source for the crankshaft dowell pins used on the flathead V8.  The ones on my spare crankshaft are beyond repair and the machine shops and hardware suppliers around here haven't a clue.

Tom Beaver

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not much of a machine shop if they cannot make a simple replacement pin.

I have made pins for other jobs out of drill steel (worn out and broken drills)   The pins mostly act as a guide.   Tight in one hole, Crank, and a slip fit in the Flywheel.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Passmore

Bruce is right Tom. You can usually find a drill bit that will be an interference fit in the crank, cut off the shank to size and use that to tap in.  I have been lucky a few time with that but also as Bruce said "Not much of a machine shop"
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

These dowel pins have the threads on them so you can pull them out in the confined space of the bell housing.   
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Tom Beaver

I have standard .500" dowell pins that will fit but as Brad points out the stock pins have a 3/8" fine thread on one end for extraction purposes.  I did a bunch of searching but couldn't find any like it.  However, I did find shoulder screws that have an half inch shank with 3/8" threads on the end.  In fact I bought a couple from my local supplier.  I thought I could just cut the head off and I would have the dowell pin but it turns out the shoulder diameter on these particular screws is 0.003" to small and they rattle around in the crank flange.  Someone may make shoulder screws with a true 0.500" shoulder diameter but they are not available locally.

Tom Beaver

phildeville@cox.net

Machine shop suppliers - Pic, Carr - Lane, or McMaster Carr probably have something that will work.  You can view their catalogs online. You'll probably have to buy a minimum quantity, much greater that your needs...but...sell the excess here and break even!

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Tom Beaver

Phil, none of the places you mentioned and others make essentially replicas of the Cadillac crankshaft dowel pins.   I have found one place that most probably makes shoulder screws that will have the right shoulder diameter (Accurate Manufactured Products Group in Indianapolis, IN).  All that would be required is to cut the head off, however, I was warned to expect sticker shock if I went that way.  Instead I have purchased a pair of extra-long 1/2" 303 stainless dowel pins and will turn the end down and thread it to match the original.  The pins were only $2.50 apiece so it's certainly worth try.

Tom Beaver

markl

Tom,
Don't know if you've already produced the SS replica dowel pins or not.  If not, I was fiddling around w/ a rusty old Crank from a 346 (38?), and the pins are actually pulling!  So if you still need them, I'll probably get them out today.  I'm letting the smooth shank end of the pins soak up a little more penetrating oil right now (crank standing w/ the nose up), but will probably get back to it in the afternoon.  I could send them off by priority mail today if you could still use them.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Tom Beaver

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for the kind offer.  I haven't  tried turning out the dowel pins yet because the lathe is tied up trying to make new distributor shafts.  And I'm also having to fix the wife's garden wall which collapsed, so you know where the priorities are.  If this doesn't work out I will get in touch with you and I'll try to use your dowel pins.

Tom beaver