News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Problem with 78 Deville, EFI... Where are the pro's...

Started by Camillo Gornati, February 11, 2012, 05:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Also replace the filter under the evap canister in front
Leesburg, AL

waterzap

Quote from: Camillo Gornati on March 31, 2012, 12:31:20 PM
ok,  tested temperature sensors, 950 ohms each, removed the tank, and new fuel pump the other mechanic had replaced, still had the old pre-filter, with a big hole... lets see the pics.

replaced in tank pump, replaced pre-filter, we are going out for a ride, will post results in a few minutes.

Previous guy didn't do a good job.
Leesburg, AL

62droptop

where is the gas tank vented??

if it is through the charcoal canister or otherwise. if the venting is inadequate the system will run out of fuel

try driving the car ,when it dies, open the gas cap and listen for a vacuum suction noise

if so ,you need to find the vent and make sire it is unobstructed

i had the issue before on a car, ran great for a short while then died, ofter off a couple minutes i could drive it again
but only a short time, i finally found out the car had wrong non vented gas cap when it should have had a vented one and the vent tube off the tank was pinched closed

Camillo Gornati

Quote from: waterzap on March 31, 2012, 01:37:08 PM
First replace the plug. If still a problem, replace the wire. Then look into a new distributor cap and rotor.

replaced the plug had a little improvement, idle RPM went to 610 to 650-655 rpm, without turning the screw, still a little rough, sometimes car shakes a little, will try to purchase a cap and rotor and replace all cables.
thanks for the info.
Cgornati, proud owner of a 78 coupe deville and 64 Chevy impala SS

Camillo Gornati

Quote from: waterzap on March 31, 2012, 08:39:43 PM
Previous guy didn't do a good job.

At first that what i though, but the shop owner, did most of the work, they had a guy working there, which replaced the fuel pumps and was supposed to change the pre-filter, but for some reason he didnt... anyway, car is almost 100% ok mechanical parts, after that i will redo the interior and in a few months, full repaint.

Camillo Gornati

Quote from: waterzap on March 31, 2012, 08:37:58 PM
Also replace the filter under the evap canister in front

i already bought one of those, waiting for it on the mail

Camillo Gornati

Quote from: 62droptop on March 31, 2012, 09:23:51 PM
where is the gas tank vented??

if it is through the charcoal canister or otherwise. if the venting is inadequate the system will run out of fuel

try driving the car ,when it dies, open the gas cap and listen for a vacuum suction noise

if so ,you need to find the vent and make sire it is unobstructed

i had the issue before on a car, ran great for a short while then died, ofter off a couple minutes i could drive it again
but only a short time, i finally found out the car had wrong non vented gas cap when it should have had a vented one and the vent tube off the tank was pinched closed
that was one of the first things we checked, everything was ok, regarding venting..

waterzap

Quote from: Camillo Gornati on April 01, 2012, 08:30:27 AM
replaced the plug had a little improvement, idle RPM went to 610 to 650-655 rpm, without turning the screw, still a little rough, sometimes car shakes a little, will try to purchase a cap and rotor and replace all cables.
thanks for the info.

cap, rotor and condenser. If you can, buy a blue cap. Something about the carbon in the black. Don't quite remember. Take out the fast idle valve and block the hole with a rubber stopper. Don't need it in Brazil and one less thing to worry about. Also check the fuel injector in that cylinder. Get two spares and just swap one out.
Leesburg, AL

Camillo Gornati

Quote from: waterzap on April 01, 2012, 01:47:48 PM
cap, rotor and condenser. If you can, buy a blue cap. Something about the carbon in the black. Don't quite remember. Take out the fast idle valve and block the hole with a rubber stopper. Don't need it in Brazil and one less thing to worry about. Also check the fuel injector in that cylinder. Get two spares and just swap one out.

really remove the FIV? wont make any easier to turn the car on in the morning?
I just got a "new one"from a friend... lol..

here is the first drive after 2 years.

waterzap

If it works fine, then leave it. But you really dont need it in Brazil, and if you are wondering about high idle speed, remove the plunger, keep the valve there, keep the spring, and plug the hole. Just as a test. Then see what your idle is.
Leesburg, AL

Gene Beaird

Nice car!  I bet that thing's quite a sight in Brazil.  :-)
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Camillo Gornati

Quote from: waterzap on April 01, 2012, 06:35:57 PM
If it works fine, then leave it. But you really dont need it in Brazil, and if you are wondering about high idle speed, remove the plunger, keep the valve there, keep the spring, and plug the hole. Just as a test. Then see what your idle is.

tuesday i will be in the shop again i will do the test.

We are finishing the electrical part, some check lights aren't working, have to install stereo and speakers...

Camillo Gornati

Quote from: Gene Beaird on April 01, 2012, 07:21:45 PM
Nice car!  I bet that thing's quite a sight in Brazil.  :-)

This is the outskirts in Sao Paulo, very clear air..

Camillo Gornati

Now, here is what was wrong with the vacuum lines... please have mercy...

Transmission modulator was disconnected;
Vacuum line for the A/C-Heating, was connected on the transmission modulator connector;
PCV VALVE is plugged;
MAP was connected on the the wrong plug;
Heater diaphragm, was disconnected, so heating was ON all the time, here in Brasil climate is about 25-28 celsius all the time...;
EGR was on the MAP connector, MAP was on the EGR connector...

Because of this, we had a very hot car to ride all the time, no change on the gears, terrible idle because of the MAP sensor getting the wrong reading and bad mileage as EGR was also bad.

we are getting there!

waterzap

What did the shop do when you took it to them?
Those vacuum diagrams are in the book. Very easy to just follow the lines.
Leesburg, AL

Camillo Gornati