News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Smith

Quote from: N Kahn on December 25, 2012, 06:31:42 PM
Now I'm gonna go watch Mr. Bean with my young un.

Here's the hood bar done, I installed everything, it's too dark to take pics, I'll post some tomorrow.

Ah Mister Bean.  A jolly fellow, that always had a solution for cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zavsd6etz_Q

Louis Smith

Quote from: 76eldo on January 07, 2013, 10:31:22 PM
Power pull down refers to a motorized trunk latch.  You close the trunk gently and a latch grabs and pulls the trunk down to the fully closed position.  Pretty useless gadget and most fail at some point.

Brian

Useless?  I don't think so.  It greatly avoids the loud slamming sound and the minor vibration caused by zealous "slammers".  Remember this is a Cadillac, where convenience and comfort is paramount.  I would imagine, that like most of Cadillacs conveniences in the early years, there was a high percentage of failure.  I know of many Cadillacs in the 30-35 year range, when properly maintained, most of the convenience features still work.

Louis Smith

Louis Smith

Quote from: N Kahn on January 26, 2013, 05:54:00 PM
I don't know if I shoulda done this but I did, too late now. I took a good look at the cracked lacquer on the wood and realized that it was actually pretty good underneath, no splitting or anything, well one little chunk missing out of the passenger side.
The lacquer dissolved really easily with lacquer thinner and after a slight sanding I masked it up and painted it with Deft nitrocellulose lacquer which you can still get at Lowes.
I think it came out pretty good, I know it's not original anymore but would you not do an easy fix like this?
Check out the door pulls, man are they gorgeous.

I like the little "badge" directly in front of the steering wheel saying "Eldorado".  A subtle reminder that you are driving the best that GM and Cadillac had to offer.  When Cadillac reinstated hood ornaments with the '71 Eldorado, I used to comment to my friends,that they were there as a constant reminder to them, that they were riding in a Cadillac.

Louis Smith

Finally got through reading the entire thread, and besides being very interesting, found it very informative.  I definitely see a book deal here.  With all the documentation and pictures, it is an invaluable resource for anyone contemplating a complete restoration of their find.  It has been my observation that many times, and individual finds a reasonably nice looking and somewhat running classic and sort of thinks all they have to do is run to Pep Boys for some cleaner and waxes, followed by a trip to Earl Scheib.  Anyone that has done any degree of restoration, knows there is much more work and capital required, just to get the project looking pretty and running safely.

N Kahn

OK, I cut about an inch from the bottom of the cones, I constructed a new blade from card stock, it took me a really long time to figure out where to make the slots for the rings and accurate spacing.

The blades will sit in the flat part of the stock hubcap, it's 13" in diameter.

I'm going to weld the blades to the cones and the hubcaps and then cut out the central portion of the caps, which will either become hats, woks or sconces.

After that the rings will be welded on. My friend Josh is going to laser cut the rings and blades for me.

This will work, I'm sure of it.

This is a steel mock up in 22 GA just to see if it'll be rigid enough and light.

N Kahn

I found this matchbook under the seat when I took the bottoms out to clean them, I also found another SO 50110 number as well as another DuPont comb, this makes 3 combs so far. Was this Walter Hagen's car? The only info I got back from the State of Michigan title search was info I already had. Somebody has to know definitively.

Walter Youshock

Great that you are photographing every piece that has that number on it.  This is one lucky automobile. 

As for finding things:  my '57 had about 10 old Winston cigarette butts under the seat and about half a book of Green Stamps.  Would have been nice to find some vintage silver coins. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

N Kahn

All the ashtrays had cigarette butts in them, everyone smoked back then.

Blade

LOL I also just found that out in my new 59 Caddy, every place you sit has it's own ashtray with its own cigarette lighter ...   ???

Blade

Quote from: Walter Youshock on February 23, 2013, 02:21:30 PM
Great that you are photographing every piece that has that number on it.  This is one lucky automobile. 

As for finding things:  my '57 had about 10 old Winston cigarette butts under the seat and about half a book of Green Stamps.  Would have been nice to find some vintage silver coins.

I actually found an official document from Cadillac Motors in the glove box dated June 1978, unfortunately the right half of it has been chewed up by mice - and I didn't yet have time to read the rest - but what I got out of it so far was what it seems an official service recall or something of that nature. I'll be starting to work on the car next weekend so I'll know more then.

Looks like you're having all kinds of fun with that car Nadeem. Congrats in getting it!

N Kahn

My bumper ought to be coming back from Paul's chroming, I've got my work cut out for me.

Barry

They actually had a recall issued on 59-62 Cadillacs concerning the cruise control around that time. I received one for my 60 Eldorado !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

N Kahn

What color is your cruise control knob, Barry?

N Kahn

The bumpers and headlight buckets are back from Paul's Chroming, on schedule and utterly superb, the rest of the car is going to look rather shabby up against these pieces, to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. You get what you pay for and I'm glad I put some American people to work, this isn't spray on chrome rubbish, it's the real deal.

I did a great deal of repair work to these pieces, if I had them done outside the cost would have been even more, I'll go ahead and pat myself on the back, I think I deserve it.

Walter Youshock

You deserve MORE than a pat on the back for what you've done for this car.  Now you're committed.  Before you know it, EVERYTHING will have new chrome...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

N Kahn

Quote from: Walter Youshock on February 25, 2013, 02:02:21 PM
You deserve MORE than a pat on the back for what you've done for this car.  Now you're committed.  Before you know it, EVERYTHING will have new chrome...

It was a tough call, the bumper had been hit multiple times, it was crumbling apart and the one headlight bucket was broken in two. I've been thinking about this car a lot and I think if time, money and patience permit I'd like to bring her back to the Le Mans time in her history. The grille and trunklid can be removed and saved, a new grille and a Le Mans badge would have to be made and a repaint in the correct light gold color, all doable, we'll see.

Barry

The Cruise Control knob is chromed on my 61 Biarritz.
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

veesixteen

I had a scary "incident" (but ONLY one) with our 1960 Eldorado Seville, around 1972. I thought the "Cruise Control" was a nifty little gadget; it avoided my having to worry about my speed, in areas were a limit was posted ... like in town! I was driving from Geneva airport into the city one day when the "Cruise Control" malfunctioned. Suddenly it seemed to take over full control of the car. It went into (or simply stayed) in the acceleration mode; no amount of braking would stop it from accelerating. I finally had to cut the engine to regain control of the vehicle. I never used the "CC" in town again!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

N Kahn

Quote from: Barry on February 25, 2013, 07:52:23 PM
The Cruise Control knob is chromed on my 61 Biarritz.

Mine's bright orange.
Quote from: veesixteen on February 26, 2013, 08:17:38 AM
I had a scary "incident" (but ONLY one) with our 1960 Eldorado Seville, around 1972. I thought the "Cruise Control" was a nifty little gadget; it avoided my having to worry about my speed, in areas were a limit was posted ... like in town! I was driving from Geneva airport into the city one day when the "Cruise Control" malfunctioned. Suddenly it seemed to take over full control of the car. It went into (or simply stayed) in the acceleration mode; no amount of braking would stop it from accelerating. I finally had to cut the engine to regain control of the vehicle. I never used the "CC" in town again!
Oh man, terrifying!!!!