News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Another Survivor, getting a make-over rather than a resto.

Started by Jeepers Creepers, April 23, 2017, 10:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker200

Kevin
Nice to hear that detonation isn't an issue, I'm still worried, if I need to deck the block and clean up the surface of the heads its easy to end up with 11:1. So to be on the safe side I'm considering forged pistons.
Jan

Jeepers Creepers

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Not too much work going on with the 64 these days, just getting it out and enjoying some Cadillac ownership.
(6,500 miles in 12 months, even with it off the road for 3 months while I did the engine)

I have been treating the front door timber panels with O'Cedar wood treatment. Still a long way to go to match the dash and rear timber trims, but a massive improvement over how it looked 12 months ago when the car arrived.

It's funny ya know, for the first 2 or 3 months, I thought I was flogging a dead horse.
Then one day I looked and thought...holy crap, this is starting to work.

Oh well, once a week, it gets a fresh coating.....

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Doing what I really enjoy..... 8) Just driving it.

Oh, every now and again, we'll go to the Ol Skool get together.
Australia

GKC

Beutiful work!
All of it!
Doing much the same on #1. A makeover.
I too will be removing at least the intake and heads because this engine was rebuilt 30 years ago but never turned over because the rebuilder, pasted away.
I've looked in the cylinders with a bore scope and dont feel comfortable with what i see besides the engine not wanting to turn.
Im going to pull down the top even if i do get it rotated to clean the cylinders and pistin tops and make sure the rings have not left a mark.
Very nice work on your brightening!

Jeepers Creepers

Thanks Grant.

But how lucky are you.... Body # 1 and on such a fantastic model too.
Our car is number 11,624 out of 14,550....... just doesn't have the same ring to it saying that.  :'(
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

I've been sussing out our build sheet and this morning, I looked to see, just for the hell of it, what model followed us off the assembly line.

OUR CAR: 1964 Cadillac Fleetwood, (106761) Aspen White, turquoise interior.

NEXT CAR: 1964 Cadillac Fleetwood, (106762) Aspen White, light blue interior.

How friggin cool would it be to have a photo of those two cars, end to end coming off the assembly line, Man o man, I'd be prepared to sell off one of the wife's kidneys to get a photo that for the file.

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

I'm getting the repro decals etc on now, which makes everything seem a tad nicer.

The air cleaner one went back in the same position, but it looks too low to me.  :o
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Some before and after shots of some of the work done in the last 12 months.

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

The donkey dick hose is long gone now along with the radiator overflow hose being replaced with a black hose.  ;)

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

The two front door timber panels were really hammered by the sun. By using O'Cedar wood polish, one a week for a year, they are slowly returning to a better look. They'll never be perfect, just a lot better.

Bit of a distance shot, but still showing the improvements.
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Australia

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jeepers Creepers

Almost 6 months since I last posted on this thread. I'd really like to tell you all, everything I've done to the car in that time, but that would be a pretty hard to do.

The truth of the matter is, we've been driving it whenever we can. Since we completed the engine rebuild last June, we've put just shy of 6,000 miles on it.  ;D
I love my 64.  8)
Australia

Highwayman68

That is awesome, so glad that you are able to enjoy the car :)
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Highwayman68 on June 11, 2018, 10:01:28 AM
That is awesome, so glad that you are able to enjoy the car :)

Not hard to do when its a Fleetwood though....  ;)
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Still out cruising and using the big ol Fleetwood. Not much else to report, just taking care of regular maintenance and servicing.
In the first photo, you see the results of the first owners interaction with the mail box, right above the word FLEETWOOD.  :(

But, with still approx. 80% of the original paint still in place, i'm just loath to try and dick around with it.
Considering, from 1964 to 2016, the car lived in Southern California, the paint is still doing ok.
Well, I think it is....  8)
Australia

DeVille68

Nice!

Those dings should be "easily" removable because the panel is accessible from behind. Either trough the hood / engine bay or door jam.

Regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Steve Strickland

Jeepers,

Look into paintless dent removal (PDR) in your area. It's amazing what can be done with some of the specialty tools that are available now. In my area, the price is usually right in line with a body shop that would strip, fix and repaint it.