News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 eldorado with a difference .....!

Started by paul57, January 30, 2010, 04:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

Quote from: paul57 on January 30, 2010, 04:50:56 AM
...... all i can say is what on earth were they thinking of ... :o >:( ???

My first reaction was just like yours. However, after a couple of minutes I thought: this design is so clever that even cutting off some details cannot spoil it.
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Otto Skorzeny

this design is so clever that even cutting off some details cannot spoil it.

I completely disagree.

The 57 and 58 Eldorado rear end styling was already awkward - bottom heavy. The fins added some semblance of balance to the rear profile. Without them the car looks clumsy and ridiculous - like a dog dragging its a$$ across the floor.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

JKF

Gets a bit Pontiac Strato Streak 54, Pontiac Strato Star 1955 or the 3/8 Pontiac Club de Mer 1956.
I´d say original design was so good it's nice with fins as well. Even nicer...

???Q: This pic shows the fins having no purpose for housing the rear lights.  They are just fins. Wich car was the first production car in US having fins just for fins sake and not for carrying the rear lights? Biarritz/Seville 1957?

/J Kjerrulf

Eric S. Maypother #15104

When you look at it from the back, as just a car, not a Cadillac it doesn't look "bad", but when you see it from the front and the classy design of a Cadillac it just doesn't look right with no fins, the back just drops too much in comparison to the front design.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

There was an identical red convertible in the parking garage I used in downtown Indy in the mid-60s. I didn't especially like the fins, but I like this even less.

Bill Balkie 24172

In my opioion , that car was Neutered , That fin gave that car attitutude , it did not house  a taillightor have any purpose ,and that is the beauty of the 57/58 EEldorado.The designers were not aaffaidof creating something  that was imimpractacle  But once you see one ,you know it is something very special . Most people have never seen a 57/ 58 Eldorado . You can not clone this car as easily as you can other Eldorado's .because the body changed ,not just the trim .It was really a very special car , and lets not forget the 56  
Quote from: Eric S. Maypother #15104 on January 31, 2010, 04:34:36 PM
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Whit Otis, 1188

Hate to say it folks, but the '57 and '58 Eldo's (this is my opinion only) were "Crisco Kid" cars......... fat in the can..... kind of a bulbous obtusions to say the least..... right from the factory.  All the standard '57 models (everything but the Eldo's) were outstanding in my book.... the forward slanted fin was shear genius.... again IMO.
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

The Tassie Devil(le)

I just imagined trying to reverse one of these cars without the Fins, and I am sure it would be a "Touch and feel" experience.

If nothing else, the Fins are there as a guide

Bruce. >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: South_paw on January 31, 2010, 06:37:56 PM
fugetaboutit  :D

Not all the Eldorado's of this year have the "fat in the can".  I thought I would muck this up just a little and toss in a another car.

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Whit Otis, 1188

Ha!  Great point David, and you are 100% correct in your assessment.

Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

paul57

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on February 01, 2010, 08:26:49 PM
I just imagined trying to reverse one of these cars without the Fins, and I am sure it would be a "Touch and feel" experience.

If nothing else, the Fins are there as a guide

have to agree totally ! i think i would be forever repairing the back end on mine if the fins didn't exist !   :)
but its what i've always wanted and this time its a keeper , honest !

1957 cadillac eldorado seville . turning fuel into vapours ...

pmurphy

The Tassie Devil(le)

Probably wouldn't be too bad if the Bumper Ends were made of Steel, and not Aluminium.

PS.  I think the best car would ve a Coupe deVille, or Convertible with the Brougham rear treatment. ;)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

veesixteen

I have three of these "finless fifty-sevens" listed in the Cadillac Database "Dream Cars" section for 1957. Obviously, someone started a fad. I've seen also at least one "finless fifty-nine" (also shown in the Database).  Cads without fins are like flat-chested women you either love 'em or hate 'em! I'm in the former categoy.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: veesixteen on February 04, 2010, 08:33:39 AM
Cads without fins are like flat-chested women you either love 'em or hate 'em! I'm in the former category

Yann, are you sure you don't want to amend that remark?

I'm certainly in the latter category for both women and Cadillacs.
fward

wingspread7

I think the second picture of the guy behind it tying to hold back his puke said it all!
                                                                                                               Chuck

eldo59

I thought these 57 Eldo's were factory finless know as "Sans Fins" (without fins)
I have seen one here in Melbourne.The owner of it told me the fins haven't been chopped off.It was for sale on US ebay about 3-4 years ago a few times but never met reserve,then ended up here in Australia.
Mauro Bonfitto

Otto Skorzeny

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

You need to put the kibosh on that hogwash.

GM never defaced its top of the line model and sold it "Sans Fins"  What would have been the point in that anyway? Check some '57 sales literature if you need more convincing.

Next time you see that goofball from Melbourne, set him straight.

It would be quite easy, I'm sure, to see the patch welds on the inside of the quarters in the trunk.
fward

JKF

Quote from: JKF on January 31, 2010, 03:20:13 PM
Gets a bit Pontiac Strato Streak 54, Pontiac Strato Star 1955 or the 3/8 Pontiac Club de Mer 1956.
I´d say original design was so good it's nice with fins as well. Even nicer...

Well one point Otto could have been that the original design (as I see it...) of that rear didn´t feature those fins.
Personally I like the "avec fins" ;) models better and doubt that GM ever sold any other 6237SDX/6267SX models than that handful of 4-door Sevilles. All probably had fins. Still the design of that rear looks much too similar to the dramcars of finless/almost finless Pontiac mentioned above, or?

/J Kjerrulf