News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My brakes won't bleed!!!

Started by trcooperone, October 24, 2016, 02:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Disconnect the line at the master and then try vacuum at any wheel. If air comes thru then your master is not allowing fluid to flow. If no air comes thru then you have a blockage.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

trcooperone

Roger Zimmermann

With such a long storage, the wheel cylinders are probably rusted. they are maybe still the original ones...Remove one, have a look inside, you will probably see some rust pocket. In this case, there is no alternative: buy new cylinders or let resleeve the ones you have.
I would also have a look inside the master cylinder. It's probably not in the best condition.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Steve Passmore

I agree with other posts. I would not contemplate using a car that had been stood that long. I tear down the entire system and replace everything if in the slightest doubt, and that's on cars that have not even sat that amount of time.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

trcooperone

Anyone know where a good source for front wheel cylinders? Rock auto only has rears.

59-in-pieces

Tommy,
59 guy here.
Does your 60 have a proportioning block on the driver's frame rail from which there are 4 lines - one from the master and one each to the front brakes and the fourth to a "Y" over the rear end to feed the rear brakes.
It's a long shot that the proportioning block is clogged enough to stop the flow to everywhere.
Pull all 4 lines off, and see if the insides are clear.

I have also had this happen on 59's that sat along time, the pistons in the individual wheel cylinders freeze up - that is rust in place and don't move - so no fluid flows along the lines.
Remove the plungers if you can from each of the wheel cylinders - you will replace them anyway - and blow all out from the source lines up front, and do not rely on the bleeders to pass the fluid.
Good luck,
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

trcooperone

I checked all the lines today and the blocknonf the frame rail. Everything was clear and clean all the way to the wheel cylinders. They are stuck and no good.

I am going to replace the flex lines and wheel cylinders at each wheel. I just need a source for the front wheel cylinders

savemy67

Hello Tommy,

If your front wheel cylinders are not too corroded/pitted (see attached photo for a wheel cylinder that is too pitted), then you might consider buying a wheel cylinder rebuild kit from RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1960,deville,6.4l+390cid+v8,1320499,brake/wheel+hub,wheel+cylinder+repair+kit,1956?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2F), and a wheel cylinder hone.  You may be able to find front wheel cylinder assemblies from some of the specialty Cadillac vendors.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

wbdeford

Quote from: trcooperone on October 25, 2016, 03:32:15 PM
I checked all the lines today and the blocknonf the frame rail. Everything was clear and clean all the way to the wheel cylinders. They are stuck and no good.

I am going to replace the flex lines and wheel cylinders at each wheel. I just need a source for the front wheel cylinders

Kanter says they have them....I have no idea about quality: https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1100&MakeName=Cadillac&MakeYear=1960&CategoryID=81&ProductCode=346&Router=Catalog
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

66 Eldo

NAPA has wheel cylinder kits for just about anything. But if the cylinder bores are pitted, they will need replacement.

When using vacuum or suction at the wheel cylinders to bleed often air enters where the bleeder hose attaches to the bleeder screw and you will never get the air out. This is not my preferred method but putting some grease on the end of the bleeder screw often seals this. BTW, Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it? If not, its possible the suction method you are using is not strong enough to overcome an air pocket in the master cylinder and can't pull the fluid through.

When I revive an old car, I disconnect the lines at the front and the rear wheel cylinders and remove the rubber hoses. Buy replacement hoses but save the old ones in case you can't find replacements by application. If you can't, you can match them up at the parts store by length and fitting type.  Next spray brake cleaner or penetrating oil (WD 40, PB Blaster etc) down the lines and blow compressed air from the front. Have a bottle at the end to catch the junk that comes out and inspect it. Some varnish is normal to see but if you see any rust flakes replace the lines.

trcooperone

Well I replaced the entire brake system with the exception of the front wheel cylinders which I rebuilt and the brakes are great!!!! Thanks for all the help!!

Now I will turn my attention to my carb, I took the caddy around the block a few times and about round two the car would surge and be stuck at open throttle until I would tap/pump the pedal and the rpms would come back down. It then died completely and once I got it started it could not get full throttle and crept home at 10mph max!