News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac "Maharani" show car

Started by jerry c., January 31, 2010, 12:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry c.

The New Times web site (NYTIMES.COM) has a good slide show of the 1956 Cadillac Maharani show car....go to Autos section of the site, on the right hand side.

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

Does anybody have a photo of 1956 Cadillac Maharani at its actual location of the 1956 Motorama?
I've been searching for a photo like that but could not find any.
There's not too many 1956 Motorama photos on the web anyway. I found only this one below showing a huge crowd but I have no idea where and how was the Maharani Cadillac displayed.
I was also reading about three other Cadillac show cars like the Maharani (being the Maharani the only survivor) but I could not find the names and special features of them.
Could you please help me to find out?
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Gerg,

You might find some more information on Yann's website. He has the goods on all Cadilllac show cars and concept vehicles by year (along with regular production Cadillacs)

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm56.htm
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Of course, I always start with Yann's website if I am looking for information about Cadillac history. I found this photo there. However, I cannot find the info on the actual location where it was exhibited.
Somewhere I read that "The show's 63 exhibits and 26 production cars occupied 26,000 square feet of ballroom space plus adjoining rooms." In my opinion, the Maharani could not be in the Grand Ballroom.
It would be nice to see a photo where the Maharani Cadillac is surrounded with people in its actual place.
Unfortunately, I do not have the Bruce Berghoff’s book. Maybe there’s a photo like that there. I do not know.

By the way, I found the names of the other three 1956 exhibition Cadillacs: Castilian, Gala, Palomino. They are all mentioned and shown on Yann's website just as the Maharani.

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Those of us who were at the 2008 Grand National were lucky enough to see this car in person.  Lou, the Southpaw, was parked right next to it. 

One wonders what GM was thinking when they thought that a toaster and a kitchen sink were suitably glamorous accessories for a custom car.

Is there anyone here who can honestly picture the woman being chauffeurred around in that car making her own toast and washing her own dishes?   

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

One wonders what GM was thinking when they thought that a toaster and a kitchen sink were suitably glamorous accessories for a custom car.

Is there anyone here who can honestly picture the woman being chauffeurred around in that car making her own toast and washing her own dishes?   
[/quote]

It was the same person that approved the ad showing a 55 Eldo conv. with the top DOWN and 2 ladies in winter clothes. They have their skies & poles stowed in the car. How STUPID!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

David King (kz78hy)

You might check this poster to see if any of the cars you are interested are shown.

http://www.gmphotostore.com/Motorama-Poster-I/productinfo/P1120/

The GM photo store has a lot of stuff.

There are a few others listed in the auto show tab.  I did not take the time to look under the concept cars.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

David,
Thank you for the tip.
I have checked them all but none of them is about the Maharani.
This is the best quality original photo I found. However, it does not show the location of the car but the Maharani's inside with the lady.

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

I almost forgot.
While searching for the photo I found this video about the 1956 Motorama. It is just fabulous.
I guess the Cadillac which is shown from 2:58 to 3:20 should be the Fleetwood Gala (Wedding Car).
Eldorado can also be seen live from 5:55 to 6:08.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ccAf82RQ8
Don't forget the popcorn before clicking. :)

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Quentin Hall Australia

Now if Cadillac had only had the foresight to include a deep fryer, a potato chipper, a burger griddle (could convert to a herring smoker for the Norwegian Motorama), and a ketchup, thick shake and napkin dispenser and called it the "Burgerama ". . . .  I truely think it would have been well received by the American public.
     "Life on the highway, wind in your hair, wife by your side, cooking burger number 7, just the way you like it. New for 1956 Cadillac Burgerama"   ;)

Otto Skorzeny

I think that would have been the Coupe de Grille.

I'm here all week, folks. Two shows on Saturday.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Brad A. Ross

It is interesting to note that Pontiac also had a 1963 Bonneville show car named "Maharani". This could make you wonder whether the designers of the Pontiac had something to do with the Cadillac Maharani. My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0408pon_1963_bonneville_maharani/index.html

Brad A. Ross
CLC #25808
1988 Superior Cadillac Sovereign Brougham Funeral Coach
2001 Eldorado Sport Coupe (ESC)