News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

10W Oil for Distributor

Started by 60eldo, August 13, 2014, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So I read in the 1960 manual you should put 10W oil in your generator and distributor.  Not 10W 30, but 10W. Can you still buy this stuff cause know ones heard of it here. What are you guys using?
Jon. Klu

joeceretti

I use sewing machine oil in mine just because it has a nice oil tube on the bottle. I think it's not that critical. The only critical thing is NO oil. No oil is a bad thing, not that it needed to be said.

In other words, 10W30 will be fine.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Using 10W-30 is just fine.  I fill a small oil can with a flex spout and have been using
this for years for those applications.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

joeceretti

The 30 means when it heats up it gets thicker instead of thinner, this is a good thing.

craig-o

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on August 13, 2014, 05:34:16 PM
The 30 means when it heats up it gets thicker instead of thinner, this is a good thing.

Actually, it doesn't get thicker when it heats up.  What 10w30 means is it has the viscosity of a 10-weight oil when it's cold (~ 45 centistokes @ 40C), but the viscosity of a 30-weight oil when it's hot (~10 centistokes @ 100C); higher numbers = thicker, more viscous fluid. [ref: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/]

I've been told the "W" stands for "winter", but can't cite that as fact.
Craig Rodenberger
San Jose, CA
1955 Coupé deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140 OTS

joeceretti

Quote from: craig-o on August 13, 2014, 06:42:12 PM
Actually, it doesn't get thicker when it heats up.  What 10w30 means is it has the viscosity of a 10-weight oil when it's cold (~ 45 centistokes @ 40C), but the viscosity of a 30-weight oil when it's hot (~10 centistokes @ 100C); higher numbers = thicker, more viscous fluid. [ref: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/]

I've been told the "W" stands for "winter", but can't cite that as fact.

Umm? huh?

SAE 30 is not thicker (more viscous) than SAE 10?

waterzap

30 is thicker than 10 at the same temp.  But 30 in a hot engine is thinner than 10 in a cold engine. When the engine is cold, the oil says I'm a 10. When the the engine is hot, the oil is a 30. A hot 30 is thinner than a  cold 10, but thicker than a hot 10.  So a 10w30 is the same viscosity as a 10 weight oil when you start the engine, and a 30 weight oil when at operating temp.  It does get thinner at temp, but not as thin as it would have been in a straight 10 weight oil
Leesburg, AL

Raymond919

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on August 13, 2014, 05:26:46 PM
I use sewing machine oil in mine just because it has a nice oil tube on the bottle. I think it's not that critical. The only critical thing is NO oil. No oil is a bad thing, not that it needed to be said.

In other words, 10W30 will be fine.

I believe that I read somewhere that sewing machine oil is 10 weight so it should be fine.

David Greenburg

I've been able to find Kendall 10w at the local NAPA.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special