News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

paint

Started by Barry Wheeler #2189, February 15, 2005, 05:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Wheeler #2189

Can anyone help me out with a modern dark green paint that is almost black with NO metallic? Thanks.

Porter 21919

Barry,

I used PPG paint on my 66 CDV, I choose a color from the paint sample rack, the have 1,000s of colors with a formula, just find an auto paint store and theyll show you the chips, choose what you like and they can mix you a pint, have a test panel sprayed or ask them for some spray out cards (1/2 black and 1/2 white, used to determine how many coats you need for coverage).

HTH,

Porter

Bruce Berghoff - # 1476

Barry... Bud Coleman of the Valley Forge Region just painted his 38 Series 75 a spectacular "Midnight-Green", but it had a trace of metallic when I shot some lights for him. Ill bet if you dropped the hint of metal flake from his formula youd have just what you wanted...... a "spooky green"! BB

Lou 19058

If your paint supplier does not have a color spectrum to view ,ask them to show you chips from any English car manufacture. Solid dark greens are very popular colors on Jags,MG,Rolls,Etc..

Barry Wheeler #2189

Thanks gentlemen. Youve given me some new ideas.

Doug Houston

Sounds to me like youre looking for Cavern Green, which went from about 1937 through 1941, and maybe longer. Theres a PPG (Ditzler) dealer in Detroit and Pontiac, and they may be able to cook up some Cavern Green. My 39 V16 coupe is in that color and, come to think of it, I had some mixed years ago by a guy from Rinshed-Mason, for touchup on the coupe. Ill have to look for it. Maybe we can make a color chip....?