News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac 2nd worm gear - speedometer

Started by Dan LeBlanc, March 23, 2015, 11:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

WTB - 2nd worm gear for the speedometer for the 1953 Cadillac.  Assumedly, 52 should be the same as the clusters appear very similar.  This is the gear that runs between the 1st worm gear (input shaft gear) and the 3rd worm gear (to the odometer/trip odometer).  Two clusters on the bench, same problem - stripped gear.  Not sure about the one in the car yet, but would rather replace and be sure.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

MAX GRETENCORD

Dan, on my 53 sedan the speedometer works fine but the odometer and the trip do not move....here is the interesting part, the cable to reset the trip is missing.  I wonder if the cable was removed do to the stripping of the worm gear or the cable was jammed and stuck in the engaged position to the gear.  I have not removed the cluster as of yet.  Remember the 53 is 12 volt and the 52 is 6 volt and only makes a difference for the gas and temp gauges and lamps.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

Dan LeBlanc

Max

I can pretty much assure you that the worm gear I'm looking for is stripped in yours also if the speedometer is working fine but the odometers aren't moving.

I contacted a few speedometer outfits and they have flat out told me that they won't sell me the part.  One told me that for $275 they'll fix it.  My cluster is cosmetically fine.  I got it working by forcing the worm gear over by threading a screw into one of the holes the gear goes into in the housing.  The stripped gear has a few gnarly spots, but the more I run it with a drill, the more the teeth are smoothing out and engaging properly.

Not about to spend $275 for a full restoration of a speedometer that is near perfect cosmetically and needs one little part.

I'm keeping my eyes open on eBay.  There are worm gears that pop up from time to time for $25.  I'd rather spend that than $275.

I'm going to pull apart a spare 1961 cluster I have to see if the gear I need is the same.
Dan LeBlanc

Walter Youshock

Can you epoxy the damaged areas and reshape them like the cruise control gear?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

It's such a small gear.  I'm not sure I could pull it off. 
Dan LeBlanc

The Tassie Devil(le)

Of cause you can.

Clean the part totally clean, and then with a dab of Devcon, on the area, to build it up, carefully trim it before it is totally dry, and then finish it off with a small file.

The only reason these parts wear out is from lack of lubrication, and the entrance of dust to create a solid goop, to create a resistance.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

That would be a perfect candidate for 3-D printing.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101