News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldoirado steering wheel diassebbly ??

Started by xcaret, December 05, 2012, 09:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

No.

When you take apart the tele part of the wheel, you see the thing that threads into the center of the shaft that the lever moves when you lock the wheel?

It actually threads down and pushes a little lever to the side and that's what "locks" the tele part of the column.  When you go to use the tool to re-compress the spring and put the keeper back in, the part of the column that rises has nothing to hold it down unless you have something threaded in there.

This will make sense once you are putting it back together, but trust me, I just saved you 20 minutes of head scratching.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

xcaret

Thanks , I trust you .. I'm heading to the part store to get a $19.00 compressor for the lock plate ..
Thanks.
Neil

Hankk17

tip about the signal/cruise lever that I learned the hard way on my '76 deville - wrap the excess wire you're going to need to screw it back into the house COUNTERCLOCKWISE about 3-4 times.  That way when you screw it back in, the wire unravels and you can pull it back down to make it look neat.

The way the telescoping works is the center rod gets pushed downward when you turn the lever so to stop the telescoping you can just temporarily put a screw with the same threads and the head cut off in the hole so the whole thing doesn't come up while you're trying to compress it.

Wherever you go... There you are

xcaret

Thanks , I now understand the locking of the telescopic shaft.. I had damaged the thread taking the steering wheel and now know the hole in the end of the shaft is 5/16 coarse I used a tap to clean it up. I'll just screw a bolt in to get the depth and saw the head off.
Next step is to wander through the pick and pull ( do it yourself) wrecking yard to see if they have a compatible sig lever .. I guess they should be the same for lots of years . I think they went to the dimmer switch on the colum in around 1981. Anyway I'll be armed with all my tools ,and enjoying the hunt.
Thanks for all the help. Id have my teeth knocked out by now from the spring if you guys hadnt warened me.