News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct radiator hose for ’60?

Started by David Greenburg, February 17, 2018, 04:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

Anyone know if the correct lower radiator hose for a ‘60 with a/c should be a simple “L” shape (similar to the upper hose), or if it is supposed to have more curves in it?  The hose on the car looks more “fitted”  see pic) while the repro replacement ordered from a reputable supplier and stamped with the GM part number is the simple L shape.  It fits, although it looks like it will contact the chassis.  But I have not installed the spring yet.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scott Halver

David,
I went through this with my car this past year-   had to reseal my water pump, didn't use new lock washers and it backed off enough to seep water (total story longer).   NAPA has one hose/part number for the upper and lower radiator hoses (Gates Hose..... can't seem to find my invoice for the part number).    The hose worked for the lower radiator-water pump hose connection ...........   but only after getting the hose all the way on ........   if you don't slide it all the way up on the water pump and all the way on the radiator it will be too long and rub the frame.    I actually trimmed a hose thinking it was going to be too long and then ended up having to buy another hose.    I was not able to use the NAPA hose for the upper radiator.   The existing hose was only a couple of years old and so I used it again.   The "true part numbers" have been retired per my research........    SHalver #24920   
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

David Greenburg

Scott:

Thanks. I probably could have saved some money going the NAPA route instead of getting the the repro of the original part.  But once i got both ends all the way on, it seems to fit well. It might be touching the frame, but it is certainly not chafing.  I’m thinking that the prior “s curve” hose may actually have been a  later  model hose that had been cut down, as the ends were clearly cut by hand as opposed to a clean machine  edge.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special