News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Eldorado dual choke issues UPDATE

Started by cadman56, February 17, 2018, 07:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman56

I had both carbs, Carter WCFB, rebuilt.  After driving 40 miles engine idles way too fast.  I got it in the garage and pulled the air cleaner.  The rear choke was 'flapping in the breeze' and the front choke was almost closed.  Both choke housings were warm, not hot, and the tubes were somewhat warm.
My 56 shop manual does not show what these choke thermostats look like internally or how they hook up.
Does anyone have piotures of the internals of these chokes?
I have been told they are different from the later Carter chokes.
Thank you.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Larry,

See if this helps. It's '57 but typical of '55-56. The choke interior appears to be the typical bi-metal spring. Based on a "warm" choke tube coming up from the exhaust manifold, I'd start by checking that the chimney tube is clear. Next I'd check whether the choke butterfly is attached to the shaft.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

cadman56

Thanks Ralph.  The picture does help.
I checked the engine this afternoon after sitting overnight.  Both chokes are closed with good spring tension closing them.  Strange the rear one was just totally loose and the front one was almost closed after 40 miles.
It may be a while but I will let all know what I found.

Dave Shepherd

Make sure you have good vacuum at the port on the choke housing that the manifold heat tubes connect to, this can be an issue if the internal pasages get carboned up. The thermostatic spring never gets warm enough to open the choke plate.

cadman56

Yes, I will check the vacuum as mentioned.  I already know the heat tubes are clear.
Another question....what holds the chokes open when the choke stats bakc off when they get hot? 
I will keep you posted.

Caddy Wizard

It sounds like it might be as simple as the front choke is adjusted way too closed.  So even when the engine warmed up (and the choke warmed up), it never opened.  The rear one sounds like it functions as it should.  Try adjusting the choke towards being more open...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

cadman56

After reading the shop manual many times again, I discovered the choke stats were incorrectly set.  I reset the stats per the book then I went to work readjusting the linkages on the driver side.
My hot rod neighbor came over last night and we started the engine.  The chokes work perfectly and he fine tuned the linkage adjustment on the driver side.
She now idles down slow.  My neighbor will come back in a couple of days and we will check timing and do a final adjustment on the carb mixture and idle settings.

Now I need to locate a new gasket for the gas gauge sending unit.  Any ideas where I could find one of those?

Thanks, Larry