News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Paint mix formulas - who has them? 1970 Cadillac

Started by chrisntam, February 21, 2018, 09:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Who can I go to to get the paint mix formula for my San Mateo Red (code 74) for my '70?

RM, Dupont or Ditzler, any would be fine.

The local auto paint store with the camera is having difficulty getting a close enough match.  Figured I'd query the audience to see who you go to to get the paint mix formulas.

When I sold paint back in the '80s, getting the mix formula for that caddy was not a problem.   Problem is back then, I didn't have the car, now I have the car, but don't have the formula.  Where'd all the old car formulas go to?

The car was repainted in base coat / clear coat (same color) prior to my ownership of it....

My painter gets his paint from English Color supply, but they can't get it right.  English has been in business around here for decades.  Not sure what the problem is.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Chuck Swanson

Not sure why they are trying to paint match. For my '66, the color was in the paint shop's computer system.   I ordered RM from my local paint shop and it matched exactly (Marlin Blue Iridescent).  Maybe call another shop.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

chrisntam

Yeah, after I posted, I did a quick search, seems as if getting original formulas for these cars isn't that challenging, but apparently it is for my local branch...

I'll call and talk to them in the am.

>:(
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

When I got my San Mateo 70 DeVille 5 years ago it had a few little nicks and chips that I wanted to touch up.  I went to a local paint supplier and got a pint in the actual acrylic lacquer.  They had the formula in a book and mixed it to match perfectly.  I only wanted a pint to use with a super fine brush and dab in a few chips.  They said at the time that to mix enough to paint a car with would be very expensive.  So as of 5 years ago you could still get it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eldorado James

Here ya go....I have all of the Caddy conversion charts.  If you can't blow it up to read the details, let me know.  Dupont is 5198LM.  Ditzler is 71642.

EJ 
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Jenyk

Hi, I guess you have them for 75 Eldorado and and 93 Sixty Special as well? Thx a lot.
Caddies in the Heart of Europe
---------------------------------------
1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
1993 Cadillac Sixty Special

Eldorado James

~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Jenyk

Caddies in the Heart of Europe