News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Pesky Transmission Leak

Started by Bob Kielar, February 24, 2018, 01:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

For about nine years I have been chasing a transmission leak on my 1955 Fleetwood. Replaced the tail shaft seal first time with screwdrivers and hammer what a pain. It still leaked. I thought the seal was bad or I messed it up on the install. The second time I went to replace the tailstock seal I had the dimensions to build the GM removal tool. Luckily for me my son is a teacher at a technical high school so it was a assignment for one of the students it turned out perfect and worked even better no more prying with screwdrivers. After replacing the second seal it still leaked. I then thought it was the seals I was getting so I ordered one from Fatsco since they deal with transmissions for a living. I also noticed that the leak was being sprayed on the bottom of the car not good. I needed to address this issue since I replaced my exhaust to the original length mufflers and it might spray onto them. I looked at the yoke on the driveshaft and the leak was always at the end of the u-joints hmm. Removed the driveshaft and poured some transmission fluid down the yoke. After a day it started leaking out of the center of the yoke (see pictures). I had a extra yoke and put some transmission fluid down it no leak in over a week. Replaced the yoke installed the driveshaft ran the Cadillac out of the garage and back in. There is to much salt on the roads to take Annie for a ride. So far it's been about three weeks no leak. Hope this helps someone else down the line to find there pesky transmission leak.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

walt chomosh #23510

Bob,
  I had to replace my pinion seal twice in order to stop a leak. Not sure why....walt...tulsa,ok

Bobby B

Bob,
Crazy...I've yet to see that happen. Most times when chasing a leak in that area, it's not the seal, it's usually that the yoke is grooved or worn out, so no seal will stop the hemorrhaging. A simple sleeve will solve the problem. Nice detective work  ;)
                                                                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH