News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 water pump, strange hole in casting

Started by kordina, March 19, 2016, 05:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kordina

Hi
I have a really strange issue: removing my water pump for general inspection, I found the front casting face had a hole just below the pump axle, see attachment. On closer inspection it looked like the hole should be there, even if the opening itself was a little beaten up. Can anyone tell me if this hole should really be there and why? Needless to say, the waterpump is working fine and no water is coming out of this suspicious hole.

Another matter, I understand the 57 pump is special. What is the difference to the other 365/390 pumps? Possible to make any adaptation?

Regards,
Staffan
1957 Series 62 Sedan De Ville

Jay Friedman

All Cadillac water pumps have that hole from at least the 1949 331 cu. in. motor.  It may be that earlier water pumps had it too but I'm not familiar with them. 

I'm not sure what the hole is for, but it may be an air vent.  I say that because my '49 shop manual mentions that if a car's radiator is clogged and impeding coolant flow at high speeds, the water pump will bleed air. 

If I'm not mistaken, I believe 1957 water pumps are different because the bottom water pump hose is attached to the right (passenger's) side of the water pump and draws water from the right side of the radiator.  In all other years the bottom hose is on the left.  I don't know the reason.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Walter Youshock

That's called a weep hole.  When the seal begins to fail, you'll get a little coolant leak there before your entire engine cooks.  Kind of like a freeze plug. 

'57 is a one-year - only pump because of the lower hose location on the passenger side.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

kordina

Interesting. Weep hole! Good to know as I was thinking of closing up the hole.

Regarding the 57 pump one-year design: means radiator and pump from any other year (49-62) would solve the problem of not finding a 57 pump?

Anyway, thanks for your excellent support!
1957 Series 62 Sedan De Ville

Walter Youshock

Not really because there is an independent at ion on the frame cross member to accommodate the lower hose.  In 1958, the transmission cooler was moved to the lower radiator tank so you'd be looking to replumb the transmission...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David King (kz78hy)

The '58 Eldorado Brougham carried over the '57 frame feature and the A/C water pump.  Just info for anyone finding this thread w/a Brougham.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter