News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 Glass source

Started by Brad Hemingson CLC #18437, September 17, 2014, 11:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

I have a friend who just a acquired a 1966 Fleetwood that needs a windshield. Local prices are high. I found some much cheaper ones on eBay but they don't look correct at all. Any leads on a reasonably priced vendor with factory look replacement glass.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Classic

Another resource is Vintage Glass at Pittsburgh Glass Works:  https://www.buypgwautoglass.com/SplVintageGlass.asp?REG=&UserType=&ShipToNo=&PB=0&URL=default.asp .  Call: 877-855-8100 .  Email: VintageGlass@PGWGlass.com 
Gene Menne
CLC #474

JoeKarasinski

The NAGS part number for the glass you're looking for is DW00661GBN. It is available through either Pilkington or PGW. I replace auto glass for a living here in metro Detroit MI. Out of curiosity what do they want for one in your area?

Around $600 not including installation.

Pittsburgh Glass was a total bust. About as much fun as dealing with the tax department. Our e-mail conversation went like this "Hi I'd like a windshield for a '66 Fleetwood if you have one how much would it cost shipped to Point Roberts, WA" They replied "are you a shop?" "No I'm going to DIY it" "You need to order through a glass shop" "if I get my body shop to order it is that okay?" "Yes" "How much?" "get them to contact us" "forget it"

I guess they have so much business they don't need mine.

JoeKarasinski

Wow, OK Brad.600, that's insane! List price is only 310.25. I wish I knew how to go about getting one shipped to you.

Could anyone check eBay and post a link to one that would look factory? I'm seeing a lot with a green tint and a "bar" of blue tint at the top. The one in the car has a light green tint with no bar.

Dan LeBlanc

Did they stop using the shading by 1966?

My 61 Fleetwood with the original windshield (yes, the stamp is correct as is the date code) has the blue shaded band across the top and was ordered new with EZ-Eye glass.
Dan LeBlanc

936CD69

From the 66 Data Book:

soft ray glass
Cadillac Soft Ray Glass shields
the car interior from heat and
glare of the sun, giving greater
comfort and improved visibility.
It is a natural complement
to air conditioned cars. Available
on all Cadillac models, Soft
Ray Glass installation includes
tinted glass on all windows (including
convertible rear window)
and features additional shading
on the upper portion of the
windshield.

No mention of color unfortunately
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Dan LeBlanc

So, in Brad's instance, the shaded band is correct.  The one he has now that is green (solar tint) with no shaded band is an incorrect replacement, therefore he needs the one with the shaded band if the car has Soft Ray glass.
Dan LeBlanc

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 17, 2014, 12:51:31 PM
http://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/

Ordered mine from there a few months ago for my '66.  Don't recall price but was reasonable, with date code.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

JoeKarasinski

The only windshield you can get today is the shaded with the blue band on the top. They discontinue making clear replacement glass because there's not enough people interested in it. I don't think just tinted was ever an option for these cars. If you are not seeing the shade on yours its either because yours has faded or the glass is clear.

The blue shade fades over time eventually it turns yellow and the pretty much disappears.