News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hydro-E-Lectric Installation Advice Needed

Started by Joe V, September 19, 2014, 10:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

I'm in the planning (and saving) phase of a hydrologic reinstallation on a 49 convertible.

My window cylinders are retracted so they my not have much fluid in them so I'm wondering if it is wise to spend the time to determine if they are usable, or wiser to save the time and frustration and spend the money on new ones. Given old seals and all, I'm not sure the time investment is the wise choice but I'm not opposed to spending some time and use the money for other needed parts.

When reinstalling have you purchased new cylinders or had good luck with originals? 

Is there an option to have them rebuilt in a cost wise manner, like regular cylinders are rebuilt, that would negate the need for new ones?

Thanks.

Philippe M. Ruel

These cylinders are of the crimped design, and not rebuildable - my opinion, although everything that was built is rebuildable.

How long have they not been in use ? I never had luck with used cylinders sitting for years or decades.

You may buy new ones from the usual parts sellers.
Or go to a hydraulics workshop with your old cylinders, and ask how much it would take to fabricate new ones with modern design (clips, o-rings etc) using the old solenoids and rods. Yes they can do it, only the price can stop you, or their laziness (and the amount of more profitable work they already have) can stop them.

Due to the cost of overseas shipping and taxes, I chose the second option, have a look at hte pictures in this thread : http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=98662
1952 60 Special in France.