News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'41 Cad. Hard to start when hot.

Started by Kevin, September 03, 2008, 12:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Podany #19567

Domer,

Follow the advice from Fred Zwicker, Bill Ingler, and John Washburn:  I own a 41 60 Special and for years it was plagued by the same hot start problems.  Owning a flathead and not having an axillary electric rotary fuel pump installed is not advisable.  Engage this pump only when the car has been sitting for long periods, and for secondary engagement when vapor lock occurs.  My car is totally authentic in every respect; it has won first place with all the national car clubs.  After winning the first place awards, I then followed Fred Zwicker's dual 6 volt Optima Battery set up, and it works beautifully, hot or cold.  However, to improve the slow and hot starts prior to this dual battery set up, I made sure all the grounding points were perfect, the starter and solenoid completely rebuilt, and the electric system was corrected to shop manual standards.  If you search on this site for Vapor Lock, or Hot Starts, you will receive ample advice and experience from other CLC Members.  Also, try to find gasoline that does not have Ethanol and use it exclusively.  I suggest you search for the articles and posts by Bill Ingler, Jack Hoffman, and Robert Schumann on these topics; they know these flat head Cadillac engines backward and forward, and trust their advice; I have followed their direction over many years, and they are always correct. 

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN 
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Using gasoline without ethanol is good advice, but if you live in an urban area it may be hard to find.  I live in the Houston area and Harris, Galveston and several surrounding counties are in an air pollution reduction zone and the nearest non-ethanol gas is about 100 miles away.

Otto Skorzeny

That seems to be the problem here in Atlanta. Ethanol has already distorted the diaphragms in two fuel pumps on my '56. I'm trying to stick with name brand premium that isn't ;labeled as containing ethanol. If it happens again I'll have to install an electric pump.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I have to run my electric almost all the time in the summer, but then my engine is still tight from the rebuild.  I had my current mechanical pump rebuilt locally, but I had the spare done at the Antique Auto Parts Cellar ( http://www.then-now.com/The_Cellar/cellar.htm ) and their rebuilds and kits state "Our diaphragms are made of fabric reinforced Buna-N Nitrile rubber- the correct choice of the more than 400 different varieties of synthetic rubber made today. It is the one, single, correct, material for use with today's fuels. ".

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe