News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Were cadillac drums in the mid 70's gold cad?

Started by collector, June 30, 2009, 11:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

I am cleaning up my drums and noticed that while washing them down they were gold cad plated? Id this possible? I also noticed that on the inside as well.

Dave Shepherd

Never saw any Cadillac drums gold , when working for GM in the 70's.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
Eldo rear brakes are good for over 80,000 miles, unless someone drives with the parking brake on, and then they get chewed up along with the drums.
If you can, see if there are any OEM numbers on the inside (non lining side) of the shoes.  If there are not then one of the two causes above required replacement of the drums.  I would guess, and it is only a guess, that one of the chain brake/muffler shops plated their replacement drums like their replacement mufflers for product identification.
Just my thoughts.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

customcars

i worked at a dealer in school from 74-79......i never saw a set plated.....k

collector

I must have been seeing things, I removed the shoes and they had the original part numbers on them and the drums numbers match on both side. I used Eastwood cast iron paint to freshen them up

Guidematic

I have not seen any drums cad plated, ever. But it does seem conceivable that the centre parts, which are steel, may have been to prevent rusting.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69