News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

When did Cadillac stop making cars with the classic 'Cadillac' ride quality?

Started by TJ Hopland, December 30, 2011, 02:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

Wasn't it because they went to Front Wheel Drive, and therefore the bodies didn't have to be as large?

BUT, it would also have to be with making more money.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Aaron Hudacky

TJ,

Sales were declining on all three Arlington, TX built full size GM RWD cars in the 90's while full size SUV demand was increasing rapidly. GM decided using the Arlington plant to build Tahoes and Yukons was more profitable than using it to build Fleetwoods, Roadmasters and Caprices. Arlington still produces SUVs today.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

R Schroeder

I'm with Greg,
The best riding car I have been in is my 78 CDV.
With 20,000 on the clock, it will pleasure me for many more miles.
I love the color and the handling too.
I think the ride was lost when they went to struts all around.
Roy

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's a beautiful CdV, Roy. I had the twin to it- Triple Mulberry I believe. Agreed 100%- the best riding Cadillacs were '78/'79 IMHO.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gary griffin

Is it possible that government mandated fuel efficiency standards and safety standards had anything to do with it??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Indirectly it did-  by incentivising/penalizing automakers to build lighter FWD unibody cars which definitely have their shortcomings as far as road isolation/ride is concerned. Ultimately however, it was the marketplace itself that killed the traditional Cadillac. Few of today's consumers genuinely appreciate the difference between a "real" car and typical modern iron, let alone pay the premium it would entail. And these days few even want to know about anything that doesn't get at least 20-25 MPG- no matter how great the sacrifice to comfort and ride.   

R Schroeder

Greg McDonnell

Roy,

Your car is indeed beautiful!  Believe this or not, my '78 CDV D'Elegance was Triple Mulburrry!  I absolutely loved that shade and received many compliments on it while I owned the car.  I miss that car a lot and wish I could someday find another.  You are one lucky fellow to have such a beautiful example with such low miles!

Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

R Schroeder

Thanks Greg,
When the fella sent me pictures of the car, I was off to buy it the next day. Called up my friend and we went to get the car. It was about 220 miles south of me. Good day trip. Only had 11,500 miles on it, at the time.
I like that color very much. The only other ones that I have seen like that were on Ebay. From what I understand it was only on the 78's.
One of the nicest cars I have ever driven.
Roy

jaxops

1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Quote from: jaxops on January 22, 2012, 11:29:46 AM
1976.  The beginning of the end for quality.

Ooooh- I'd have to disagree there. 1977 Cadillacs were much improved over their 1976 counterparts (IMHO). The new 1977s had better noise isolation, improved handling, better performance, rode better, improved fuel economy and FAR more resistant to rust. The new 1977 styling was fresh while remaining true to Cadillac. Customers agreed and sales increased each year until 1979 which was Cadillac's all time highest production year with 385,000 units sold- a number unsurpassed to this day.

Although the 1977 models lost 10" and near 1000 lbs, interior dimensions remained unchanged and useable trunk space increased. The exception was the Fleetwood Brougham had less rear space than the '76 model due to elimination of 60 Special 3" longer wheelbase.

1977-1979 standard Cadillacs were among the best overall cars Cadillac ever produced (IMHO) and were virtually indestructable. It was not uncommon for owners who usually bought a new Cadillac every 2-3 years, to keep their 1977-1979 cars for 7-10+ years.

TJ Hopland

Quote from: ericdev on January 22, 2012, 12:21:34 PM
. It was not uncommon for owners who usually bought a new Cadillac every 2-3 years, to keep their 1977-1979 cars for 7-10+ years.

The question then was was it because the 77-79's were that great or was it because they saw didn't like the similar but underpowered (not to mention bad rep) cars 80-85?  And then the hope was the next gen cars were going to be 'better' but they turned out to be nothing like what they were for size and comfort so they just kept them a little longer?   Probably didnt help that the owners of those cars either now had families or were about to retire so maybe they could not afford a new Cadillac even if they liked them?

For some reason there is something about the look of the 77-79 Deville I didnt like.   The early 80's were nice especially the Fleetwood Coupes.   I didnt used to like the 79-85 E bodies but those have really grown on me recently.   I bought my 80 just because it was a diesel and I wanted something odd and different to play with.  I love that car so much its pretty much a daily driver for me.  I really did like the ride of my 78 Deville.   I like the rest too but even after I quit driving the 78 the few times I drove it before I sold it I had second thoughts about selling it.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Hmmm. I speak of people who consistently bought new Cadillacs for cash every couple years- these were often wealthy retired folks who could easily continue to afford a new Caddy every year. Being in the business, I knew many of them. True the V8-6-4/4100 reputation didn't help with a few of the more astute buyers but honestly, few kept up with that sort of thing. With very few exceptions, everyone loved their 1977-1979 Cadillacs.

One more thing: Pre-'77 Cadillacs rotted out within a couple of winters 'round these parts. Even the most metculously maintained examples exhibited premature rust bubbling around the lower edges of their vinyl roofs, silver dollar sized rust beneath the bodyside trim, and rusty rocker panels within a few years. Never was this the case on 1977s-up that had even the most basic care. No doubt a factor in ownership longevity.

-The same was the case of all GM's full sized cars pre-1977 concerning rust issues. 

dirkdaddy

Ok, I'm going to go against the grain. These land yaghts have floppy suspension and enough rubber bushings to make the road feel disconnected. I can't stand riding in these cars that almost make me ill from sea sickness. My grandfather owned a '72 Sedan Deville that I drove when visiting him and it was horrible. The big bordello style bench seat, fingertip light over assisted steering, super touchy over-assisted brakes, fit and finish that even for the era was poor.  Handling was not percise but ok on larger roads, but regular turns in town caused tire squeal. Strong points were it did have a lot of room, the engine was powerful (although thirsty) and the HVAC system was good.

I have ridden in smooth riding small cars, the Tempo (I was given one long story) had very smooth ride but also the floppy suspension made handling so bad I nearly ran it into a ditch just following a friend in an Accord that was going the speed limit down a road with a few curves.

My dad owns a STS and DTS, the STS is OK but not really a fan of the DTS. Both feel nose heavy like they are. He's having to replace motor mounts at about 65k b/c GM didn't make a top dog-bone on the Northstar, places a lot of stress on those bottom mounts.

I'll take the smooth ride in a hearse when the time comes. For now I'll stick to other cars.
Scott Philbrook
Houston tx

Aaron Hudacky

I agree with everyone regarding the 77-79 rwd cars. They have an outstanding combination of all attributes regarding handling and powertrain durability, and even decent driveability, which surprises me for cars of this era. I still drive my abused 79 daily. It is beat and looks like it has been through WWIII, but the suspension is still tight, it rides well, and when new, I would've preferred it to my 2008 STI. The other nice thing is that lots were built and they don't quit easily, which is why they are still relatively easy to find and affordable. I love them with a bare painted roof, but those seem tough to find. With careful use, I've gotten 20mpg from a tank of gas with mine.

1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

jaxops

Quote from: ericdev on January 22, 2012, 12:21:34 PM
Ooooh- I'd have to disagree there. Although the 1977 models lost 10" and near 1000 lbs, interior dimensions remained unchanged and useable trunk space increased. The exception was the Fleetwood Brougham had less rear space than the '76 model due to elimination of 60 Special 3" longer wheelbase.
You said it!  Amen!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA