News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac 50th Anniversary interesting/funny/unusual photos

Started by Tony, May 18, 2009, 08:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette

The fender skirts were in the trunk. The emblems and taillight lenses were gone. Plus it appears to me that the top was cut off to make the car into a convertible. I just know I had the compelling notion to rescue her from the prison of room 134. Shall we start a free the "Caddie" campaign? Charles D. Barnette-let me also add here that what is so appealing about the flat-top look on these cars is that the top appears to be simply floating on top of the car.

Charles D. Barnette

There of course was no such animal. But just for fun I have asked Carla through the magic of "photo shop" to create a one off 1959 Fleetwood Cadillac Flat-Top. She will post the picture shortly. Charles D. Barnette

Carla

Here is the one off 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood flat-top fresh from photo shop.  (For the record Carla had no choice).  What are your reactions and should GM have made this?

35-709

My reaction is it is awful. 

Wait until luvdg gets a load of this one, keep your eye on eBay!
;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

GM would have done a better job but I've never liked the air scoops on the '59 Fleetwood quarter panels. If it's possible to make a '59 more gaudy, those things do it.

The coupes are the cleanest looking '59s in my opinion.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

eldo59

Here's a row of 59's at the American Motor Show in Flemington,Victoria.
Mauro Bonfitto

David Greenburg

I think the "6039"  picture is pretty amusing, although since it was based on the Fleetwood windshield, the windows are a little too high. I thik the flat tops used the lower coupe windshield. Yes, the fake airscoops are ridiculous and make the car look gaudier- but that was the point; GM had to distinguish the 60S and justify its higher price, so in a year of total styling excess they just added more.  I actually had someone come up to me at a show a few years ago and say "Nice car, but why did you put all that extra junk on the sides?"  I explained that he needed to ask GM that question.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

veesixteen

Here's an unusual (infrequently seen) illustration from a 1959 merchandising item.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Not too many '59 Cadillacs in this part of the world! This one is in Damascus, Syria.  You can see it has been "somewhat modified from original".

Otto Skorzeny

Are those plastic drinking glasses used for taillight lenses? When did you take that picture?
fward

veesixteen

To what message are you referring, Otto ?  Did I miss something ?

veesixteen

More weird '59 stuff :

veesixteen

...and still more :

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: veesixteen on May 24, 2009, 03:32:26 PM
To what message are you referring, Otto ?  Did I miss something ?

The first photo in reply 29 shows the taillights that look like they are made out of those red plastic drinking glasses they serve you at Pizza Hut.

I was wondering if you took those two pictures and if so, when?
fward

veesixteen

They sure do look like Pizza Hut drinking glasses!  No, I did NOT take these photos.  That one, I believe, is from a travel Web site about Syria. The other was taken by a neighbor of mine while on vacation in Damascus (note the trunk lid "ELDORADO" molding attached across the front of the hood!)

The B&W photo is of a custom job by Pinin Farina, supposedly built on the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham chassis. My guess it was just a empty body shell, like the "Jacqueline" coupe, mounted on a simple tubular frame with four '59 wheels.

veesixteen

More of the '59 custom job by PF (note the '59 Cadillac steering wheel).

veesixteen

This "bubble top" 1959 Cadillac parade car was made for the state visit to Canada of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, in 1959. The car has survived and is presently being restored in a top secret facility in Ohio.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on May 24, 2009, 01:31:46 PM
Are those plastic drinking glasses used for taillight lenses? When did you take that picture?
They look very much like a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge tail light and Bezel.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Charles D. Barnette

Again of course there was no such animal. But that didn't stop the Japanese Co. (Bandai) from making tin 11&1/2 inches models of this in 1959. Carla will post my pictures of same which I think are appropriate for this thread of unusual pictures of the 59 Cadillac. The 1959 Cadillac is probably the Cadillac that has the most scale models of it ever produced. It is easy to find a 1959 Cadillac model in almost any usual model scale. Since GM did make a 4 door Cadillac convertible in 1941, should GM have made the 59 Cadillac into a 4 door convertible as well? Never mind I think I already know your answers. But it does grow on one the longer you look at it. Also you have to admit that it makes for a really nice collectible scale model for my collection! Charles D. Barnette

Carla

Here is the 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood in a four-door convertible scale model version courtesy of Bandai.  (Carla really protest this one for the record!)