News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Series 62 Missing X Frame Connector In Front of Transmission Pan - Effect?

Started by P. Manoogian, September 01, 2017, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Manoogian

This particular car is a convertible. [/size]This is the approximate 40" triangular bar that is just behind the oil pan and is held with 3/8" x 24 bolts (6 - 3 on each side). I have seen these missing before.  They usually are missing after the transmission is R&R'd. The owner of the car (not me) says he doesn't care. Like any part, it's there for a reason. What would be the effect of this missing?

Thank You.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

russ austin

Since it is a convertible, I would be trying to talk the customer into having the frame secured together. Twisting of the frame is a concern.
R.Austin

Roger Zimmermann

Good question. From the small screws attaching it to the frame, I don't think it can be a good help preventing the twisting of the frame. However, if Cadillac engineers designed the frame with that cross bar, there must be a reason for that. Which one? I just don't know...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dadscad

On my 63, that cross member holds the yaw and sway mounts for the transmission. I also would think it would act as a brace to keep the frame from flexing at the end of the X where it opens out for the front suspension and engine compartment. Like mentioned before, Cadillac put it there, is should be there with the transmission side mounts, if they were used on that model.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

P. Manoogian

I did put one in, replaced all three mounts and the rear ball joint and spun balanced the tires to "0" inner and out on all 4. No shimmy, no vibrations. Worked out great! Thanks
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

62 driver

Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

P. Manoogian