News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 and back, 346ci oil consumption

Started by Richardonly, February 04, 2012, 09:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Hi again all.

My 1948 346ci WITHOUT an oil filter does seem to use some oil although there is certainly no smoke. The manual states to check the oil level at each fill up.  This can be quite often as this vehicle gets about 8-10 miles per gallon.  It is the 60s Fleetwood model.

Do others with this engine consume oil and what is your avg mpg?

What do you feel is better to use?  A straight weight non detergent oil or a cleaner multigrade oil?

Thanks for your input.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Fred Pennington 25635

Non-Detrergent oil is what should be used without a filter.
Detergent oils suspends the dirt in the oil so it can be removed by a filter. Without a filter the dirt circulates through the engine and can cause damage to bearings, On modern engines the oil goes through the filter first before going to any lubricated parts.

Non detergent oils allow the dirt to settle out in the pan and anywhere else oil will pool in the engine. This is where sludge comes from.
The maintenance schedule for these engines recommends disassembling the top of the engine and flushing with kerosene once a year to clean out sludge and to always change oil hot to pull as much dirt out with the fast running oil.

That said, allot of people do just fine with detergent oil.
They don't have the sludge issues and if you change oil frequently and don't drive much you will never find out how much ( if any ) it will shorten the life of the engine.

You need to make your own choice, based on your use.

Good Luck

Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

47bigcadillac

don't forget to add some ZDDP Plus to the oil
R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

Brett Baird

Fred & Rob are correct, non detergent is what was intended for these engines, and ZDDP is a must.  With that said, I use 10w30 with ZDDP in my '41.  I do not burn any oil.   

You asked about mileage.  I averaged 16 mpg mostly freeway driving 650 miles to and from Las Vegas for the Grand National in 2009.  I haven't checked my city mileage, but suspect is is around 10-12.

B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Richardonly

Brett,

Yowwwwwwwwwww.  I thought there was something wrong with my mileage at 8mpg.

Perhaps that is why there is black soot in the tailpipe.  I did some checking on the carb and found the 2 screws in front to be turned out 4 full turns.

I set them at 1 1/2 out, but have yet to check to see if there is any difference.  Does seem to idle smoother BUT it is dead of winter here and the chock is shut.

Thank you for the info.  Also, if gas is mixing with the oil, that may explain some oil consumption.

Thanks again to all of you,  Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle