News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Low mileage cars with rebuilt engines ????

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, July 18, 2017, 10:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   I have notice Thru the years a lot of adds feature low mileage cars with rebuilt engines . It doesn't seems to matter how old the car is . For example 1970 cadillac 40,000 original mile  with a totally rebuilt engine .  Should this send up a red flag ? Why should the engine need a total rebuild after 30,000 or 40,000 miles ? Could it be it sat for years and the engine seized up ?  Do these low mileage cars out there  that are pushing 40 to 50 years old  might need engine work ? Should a person be cautious buying a 40 to 50 year old car with low miles ?Or is it that some cars were taken care of a little more then others ? I am always courios when I see these adds .
   Thanks,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

WTL

Makes me immediately wonder if it is 140,000 miles, rebuilt engine.  In person, one would think the 100k would show in the wear on the interior if nothing else. 

Bobby B

Bill,
You're basically asking the question of why some engines last longer than others? Was the engine assembled at the factory on a Monday or a Friday? ;D
You're dealing with many different scenarios. An engine with 1K miles could have more wear than one with 10K miles, and the main factors would be how well it was assembled, and how well it was maintained, and how hard it was driven. Now...I have said this many times. There are rebuilds...and there are REBUILDS. If I'm going to pull an engine for a re-seal and some other miscellaneous items, I'll sometimes just go the extra mile and get in over my head like everyone else with the "Might-as-wells", and wind up doing a full rebuild (or top end), JUST Because. Maybe the vehicle would have a better resale if the engine were running perfect vs. just "OK", and you decide to have it done because it's cost effective. We all know what happens to cars when they are not exercised more than often. Seals dry up and shrink, oil leaks rear their ugly heads, valve stem seals dry up and crumble causing oil consumption and embarrassment.  ::). There is no reason to be leary when contemplating a purchase of a low mile vehicle that has had a "Rebuild". Get receipts, ask questions, do a compression/ leak down test, and /or have the car checked out by someone in the know. I usually ask a lot of questions when purchasing a high dollar vehicle. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse because you were afraid to ask. Would I rather have an all original car whose engine was never out or opened up, and ran like a Swiss Watch? Of course....But when you're looking at a vehicle that's getting up there in age, you have to assume that there was work done that the current owner doesn't even know about due to multiple previous owners. I always go in expecting the worst and hoping for the best...
                                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Bobby ,
    All of your points are valid .  Anything can happen or go wrong with a man made mechanical  gadget. I have serious concerns with a rebuilt engine that has not been driven for 5  or 10,000 miles . So many parts are sub superior then the parts that were made 50 to 60 years ago in my opinion . I had a Cadillac 365  engine rebuilt 10 years ago with what was suppose to be quality parts . The cam shaft  had to be replace twice because the hardness of the Lobes .  Did not show up until 1,000 miles later . Maybe the material was defective or may it just was not heat treated properly . Are the parts they are rebuilding these engines the same quality they were originally  built with ? I think Not . So many engine parts today are manufactured with poor quality material in my opinion . When i see a   car advertised  with low miles and a rebuilt engine it concerns me . Yes maybe the Engine had problems . But i do not feel confidant with a fresh newly rebuilt engine until it has been driven a good 5 or 10,000 miles to prove it out .
in a perfect world i want that engine original and not tampered with .  Especially  if i am going to pay big Dollars. just my opinion

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bobby B

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on July 19, 2017, 06:10:17 AM
The cam shaft  had to be replace twice because the hardness of the Lobes .  Did not show up until 1,000 miles later . Maybe the material was defective or may it just was not heat treated properly .

Bill,
Hi. Flat tappet Cams need to be broken in correctly. The first few minutes of startup are critical to the survival of the cam. Depends on who rebuilt the engine, and how knowledgeable they are. Cam Break-in is Stressful to say the least, but if manufacturers guidelines are strictly followed, your cam will have a happy life. I always make sure to buy a quality cam, not some offshore Chinese product. If it's an oddball, I'll have it ground to spec. It's not as pricey as you think, compared to wiping one out and the labor involved in replacing it. I've done many engines of all different types, and have never had any major problems. Some in-use over 30 years now and still running perfectly.
                                                                                                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I think one thing to consider is who it was rebuilt for.
If it is an owner who had it rebuilt for his use and ended up selling it then, in theory, it will have had a little more tlc than a guy who bought the car to flip it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on July 18, 2017, 10:02:07 PM
Hello ,
   I have notice Thru the years a lot of adds feature low mileage cars with rebuilt engines . It doesn't seems to matter how old the car is . For example 1970 cadillac 40,000 original mile  with a totally rebuilt engine .  Should this send up a red flag ? Why should the engine need a total rebuild after 30,000 or 40,000 miles ? Could it be it sat for years and the engine seized up ?  Do these low mileage cars out there  that are pushing 40 to 50 years old  might need engine work ? Should a person be cautious buying a 40 to 50 year old car with low miles ?Or is it that some cars were taken care of a little more then others ? I am always courios when I see these adds .
   Thanks,
       Bill

One of the worst things for an engine is short trips, especially in cold weather because there has not been enough time for moisture to evaporate from the crankcase. Over time this results in excessive sludge being built up internally, resulting in clogged oil passages and sludge being caked everywhere all over engine internals. This will send engines with lowest of  mileage to a certain early death.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Yes, red flags.
Never trust that an engine was properly or completely rebuilt unless the seller has a receipt and you can talk to the shop.

Low mileage cars that sit for decades end up with seized engines.
My 60 Seville has 38,000 miles on it but was stored for many years in an unheated building. The  engine rusted inside and was totally locked up.

The body, chrome, and interior held up well.

Low mileage cars that were driven a little by a few times a year are always good cars.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Bobby B on July 19, 2017, 06:52:38 AM
Bill,
Hi. Flat tappet Cams need to be broken in correctly. The first few minutes of startup are critical to the survival of the cam. Cam Break-in is Stressful to say the least,
                                                                                                       Bobby

Hey Bobby, stressful doesn't even cover it....... I was so excited to start my rebuilt engine and yet so anxious that I was almost pooping my pants. 
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Caddy Wizard

A true low-mileage car with a rebuilt engine is not something to worry about.  Just the opposite.  Yes, many engine parts available today are quite inferior to the factory parts.  But nonetheless, if the engine has been properly redone, it is a positive thing.

As noted elsewhere in this thread, if the car was left to sit unused (even indoors) for a long time, moisture from the air can rust the innards of the engine and seize it, requiring a rebuild.  This is very common and I have purchased a couple of cars like this over the years, including the 55 FW I bought a few weeks ago.

The key question really should be is the mileage claim legit or is it a fish story?  That is what you ought to be focused on...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

V63

I have found a quiet common scenario is :

deceptive or incorrect diagnosis!

1) I purchased a car from a service garage. It was reported as having a bad motor???, I replied 'oh it does not run?"

Shop: sure it runs...you can drive it.

I drove it and bought it...it was perfectly fine.

to this day I can't understand it

2) bought an EFI cadillac, very low miles. Stacks $$$ of Service history and it was clear (from a  cadillac dealer)

Dealer was clueless....sold wealthy client a motor. Can you believe the car had the SAME problem following the new engine?
Frustrated owner sold car, advertised with "new motor"

MAP sensor was the problem.

3) stale fuel is going to necessitate head jobs, common problem that people do not realize the engine damage stale fuel can cause. Stuck valves in guides.

m-mman

Advertisements . . . . Remember the rule of thumb is to use any and every word or description that will possibly inflate and justify their higher price.
Have we all not seen descriptions that read:

Mint untouched original and completely restored!
Low miles, never molested and completely rebuilt!
Completely stock but fully customized!
Nothing changed from factory but improvements and upgrades made to . . . radio, heater, brakes, suspension, motor, etc.
Show winner, never shown, rat rod, certified survivor!!

As noted above there are legitimate reasons someone might ACTUALLY rebuild a low mileage engine, BUT more than likely the seller is just including verbose verbiage.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

cadillac ken

When I see and ad with "rebuilt engine" I always mutter to myself, "aren't they all".  Like some have said it's a great catch phase when selling and to my surprise many buyers will believe what they are told simply because they "want to believe".

Documentation is everything. But carefully reading documentation is also key.  I once looked at a car for sale that a client of mine was interested in purchasing.  The owner said the "the transmission was rebuilt" and presented me with a receipt.  The fluid and filter were changed to the tune of $98.00.  When I confronted the owner he just stood there, "well that's what they told me" was his lame excuse for wasting 3 hours of my travel time.

No documentation = no sale.  Don't let emotions get involved and start believing the lies you want to believe because you really want the car or spent so much time looking for it.  my 2 cents.