News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade

Quote from: Barry on February 25, 2013, 08:05:41 AM
They actually had a recall issued on 59-62 Cadillacs concerning the cruise control around that time. I received one for my 60 Eldorado !

Now I'm curious, I'll check it tonight see what I can make out of it ... it was the time the previous owner purchased it.

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Barry on February 25, 2013, 08:05:41 AM
They actually had a recall issued on 59-62 Cadillacs concerning the cruise control around that time. I received one for my 60 Eldorado !

I believe it was a fix to add a plastic tie to tie the cables to the inner fender to stop them from chafing on either the exhaust or steering shaft - I can't remember which.

I have it downloaded somewhere.  I just hope it wasn't on my laptop that the HD crashed in.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dan LeBlanc

Found them.  Two topics covered in the Serviceman Bulletins relating to 1961 Cruise Control

Dan LeBlanc

Blade

OK, I pulled out that document, it is a recall for the pitman arm for the 59 and 60 models. There is one and a half paragraph completely surviving in which they state 'It is estimated that parts will be available at General Motors Parts Division by June 12, 1978 and that they will be available at your dealer within seven days after receipt of this order'.

Here is what got me really curious though. Just today noticed on the pillar there is a tag dated 1978 August 2 for lubrication and the mileage reads 74,906! Now my odometer reads 78,998 right now. And the fact that the only thing in the glove compartment was this one document from 1978. Was this car only driven 4000 miles since 1978? I haven't driven the car yet so I don't know if the odometer is working or not but assuming yes. Finding more mysteries every day  ???

Jeff Wilk

Dont ignore that recall. Part is readily available and easy to change

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Blade

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on February 27, 2013, 06:24:04 AM
Dont ignore that recall. Part is readily available and easy to change

Jeff
LOL ... yeah probably still waiting for this car for 35 years now   :). Maybe I should take it into a dealership and see what they say ... :)

N Kahn

Dan LeBlanc

Nope. Just the two fixes for the cruise that I could find.
Dan LeBlanc

N Kahn

It wasn't any fun putting the DA to this bumper
It's such a shame to do this, but I masked and sanded about 90% of the fresh chrome on the bumper for paint as it was done from the factory. I'll paint and install it this weekend if all goes well.

In etch primer to help the paint stick.

N Kahn

I started welding up the new stainless caps, they're much narrower and shallower than the first ones, not to mention much, much lighter, they still have to be ground and polished.

They will also sit about an inch further in once the centers of the original caps are cut out.

N Kahn

The bumper came out really nice, I'm waiting for it to dry so I can put it on and it's chilly today.

N Kahn

I've been working really hard today and with the help of my pal JT we got the bumper installed, there's no pictures because it's dark, I've been at it since 8 am.
I got two caps polished, not as well as I'd like, but I'm running out of time. I welded them to the original centers and I think they look pretty good.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Man, you are getting it to the point where it is hard to tell the difference between the old and the new pictures.   If it wasn't for the 1961 date, one would say they were all taken now, in Black and White, and the rest Colour.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Davidinhartford

R Schroeder

I have to agree with Bruce. Its looking the same as it did years ago.
Very nice job on the caps too.
Roy

N Kahn

There is a 4th ring missing from the caps, I had them cut wrong and I don't have the time to have them made right now, it will be done at a later date.

Barry

You are doing an awesome job with the wheel covers and the entire project ! I look forward to every update ! I'm so happy you and this great car found each other !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Series75

Nadeem,
Found this on ebay total of three copies available!   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-1962-Detroit-Exhibit-Car-Show-8-x-10-Photograph-/350732047133?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item51a942531d

Shows your car at the 1962 Detroit Auto Show on the turntable.   - Tom CLC#6866

N Kahn

The bumper is hung, all lights installed, everything's working.

N Kahn

Tom that picture is not from Detroit, it's Chicago, it's the same pic as my avatar, the guy who's selling it is misinformed.