News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Goodbye & thanks.
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Today at 01:00:52 PM
Quote from: Big Fins on Today at 12:50:14 PMIs there a show of hands as to how many of you really have the knowledge as what the costs are for running a site this size? Every post, every picture uses a little bandwidth. With the size of this forum, the costs of the hosting, the forum provider and the costs of maintaining it are brutal.

I have no knowledge of the costs for this place, but it has to run anywhere from $300-$500 per month. The hosting and server costs are out of this world. Even for my little corner of the Internet, we pay a couple of hundred a year and then get in there and clean out dead posts and pictures, just so I don't have to beg and plead for a few bucks to keep the show on the road. I have some generous members who have no issues in keeping it up and as long as I can, I will. The forum software is free, the 'webmaster' works pro-bono and the mods really don't have to do anything because we all act accordingly.

Donating $25/yr for the information garnered here can't be beat. If you don't want to support the club, what else can be said but, Seeee Yaaa. Do the math. $0.068 cents per day. Yet you'll spend $100 for a crappy meal in a restaurant. I don't understand your way of thinking.

Every person who makes this "meals vs. forum support" argument totally misses the point.

I can't make it any clearer than this: The HUGE majority of internet forums are free to use for all people. It has always been this way, it will always be this way. People simply will not pay just to have the ability to post on a forum.

The cost of CLUB membership is not relevant to forum participation. Most people on this forum aren't going to go to club events, they don't want the magazine, they aren't going to participate in the club activities in any way. They just want to read and post on the forum. That is how ALMOST ALL forums work. It's not just me being a cheapskate. These misguided arguments trying to make that the point are just false and come from a position of ignorance. Internet forums have always been about the ability to freely participate and always will be, or they will cease to exist. It doesn't matter whether or not you understand the how and why of that, it IS the reality. When people put up paywall barriers to forums, they show that they have a fundamental lack of understanding of how internet forums operate.

You will not be able to get most people to pay for something that most people believe should be free. The opinions of a comparative few paying club members in a small echo chamber do not make it a reality for everyone on the internet. Most people simply will not pay just to participate on forums. Nothing you say or do will change that. This forum will not be the trailblazer that somehow changes the fundamentals of the internet and human nature.
General Discussion / Re: Townhall Meeting with CLC ...
Last post by dn010 - Today at 12:59:02 PM
The forum, or source of information, is not going anywhere. You're not losing access. Your ability to post questions here is what will change. Many questions have already been answered, you just have to use a google search to search the forum a specific way to find your answers. No one knows what the outcome will be yet but I am sure there will be some that are currently disgruntled, who will eventually pay and realize it is worth it. Those who choose not to pay can use other resources like facebook or justanswers maybe.

Or, maybe they can all band together to create their own forum with free membership.

Quote from: MultipleCaddies on Today at 12:46:51 PMQuite frankly I don't care how the club is run. I'm not a member and not going to be a member. I care about how the forum is run. That is what is relevant to me, as well as to a much larger number of people than are club members. It's also very relevant to the powers that be that run the club, as closing off access to this forum will REDUCE new memberships, not increase them, especially over the long haul. It will also take away a source of information for an awful lot of casual enthusiasts who do not attend shows or join car clubs at all, they just drive and enjoy their cars. Paywalls and other inappropriate barriers to entry are nearly universal forum killers.

Quote from: Big Fins on Today at 11:59:27 AMIf you plan on using halogens, put relays in the area of the headlights themselves. Halogens use some serious power and the relays will pick up the load off of the headlight switch and the dimmer switch

What year and model did you experience this 'serious power' draw when compared to the OE bulbs on?   I keep seeing that statement and assume its true but I don't think anyone has ever came up with details.  In the 70's GM cars at least the bulbs I have personally measured there was no significant difference in the draw between the types.

Yes it will reduce the draw if you install a relay but does it really gain you anything vs adding extra parts?  I would argue in 70's GMs no gains.  I'm open to hear about other years where it is an issue?   Maybe in the context of outside the USA where they are fitting bulbs no originally designed for USA cars I could see the draw being different.   
Last post by Big Fins - Today at 12:53:12 PM
Quote from: MultipleCaddies on Today at 12:46:51 PMQuite frankly I don't care how the club is run. I'm not a member and not going to be a member. I care about how the forum is run. That is what is relevant to me, as well as to a much larger number of people than are club members. It's also very relevant to the powers that be that run the club, as closing off access to this forum will REDUCE new memberships, not increase them, especially over the long haul. It will also take away a source of information for an awful lot of casual enthusiasts who do not attend shows or join car clubs at all, they just drive and enjoy their cars. Paywalls and other inappropriate barriers to entry are nearly universal forum killers.

You've made your point. No matter what, you're not going to open your wallet. Case closed.
Last post by Big Fins - Today at 12:50:14 PM
Is there a show of hands as to how many of you really have the knowledge as what the costs are for running a site this size? Every post, every picture uses a little bandwidth. With the size of this forum, the costs of the hosting, the forum provider and the costs of maintaining it are brutal.

I have no knowledge of the costs for this place, but it has to run anywhere from $300-$500 per month. The hosting and server costs are out of this world. Even for my little corner of the Internet, we pay a couple of hundred a year and then get in there and clean out dead posts and pictures, just so I don't have to beg and plead for a few bucks to keep the show on the road. I have some generous members who have no issues in keeping it up and as long as I can, I will. The forum software is free, the 'webmaster' works pro-bono and the mods really don't have to do anything because we all act accordingly.

Donating $25/yr for the information garnered here can't be beat. If you don't want to support the club, what else can be said but, Seeee Yaaa. Do the math. $0.068 cents per day. Yet you'll spend $100 for a crappy meal in a restaurant. I don't understand your way of thinking.
Quote from: Big Fins on Today at 12:18:26 PMNot trying to be a prick here, but if you aren't a supporting member of the club, your opinions really have no bearing on how the club is run.

Join up, check into a local chapter. Even 2500 miles from the East Coast, I'm sure you have a local chapter. The last few GN's have been within driving distance for you. There are folks that chance driving 80 year old cars across country. I won't say I'm one of them, but that has to be a challenge to both car and driver.

I was going to Gettysburg, but other things came up to get in the way. I will however be in Concord and Murfreesboro. Driving to the west coast at my age is not that high on my to do list.

Quite frankly I don't care how the club is run. I'm not a member and not going to be a member. I care about how the forum is run. That is what is relevant to me, as well as to a much larger number of people than are club members. It's also very relevant to the powers that be that run the club, as closing off access to this forum will REDUCE new memberships, not increase them, especially over the long haul. It will also take away a source of information for an awful lot of casual enthusiasts who do not attend shows or join car clubs at all, they just drive and enjoy their cars. Paywalls and other inappropriate barriers to entry are nearly universal forum killers.

Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 12:45:40 PM
How do they do the board meetings?  I assume its online being a international group? 
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 12:44:14 PM
Its only 1000 miles for me.  If it was only 300 I'm not sure I would have the resources to attend. 

I think that was a good point being made there that there should be an online way to let the soon to be paying members of the forum have a say in how its run.  If only there was some sort of technology that would allow members of a group to communicate..... Like some sort of forum?
Newsletters / 1959 & 1960 Cadillac Chapter -...
Last post by Hank66 - Today at 12:37:53 PM
Here's our April, 2024 newsletter for the new 1959 & 1960 Cadillac Chapter of the CLC.

You can also view our newly-launched Chapter website at www.19591960Cadillacs.com
For Sale - Cars / 1956 Fleetwood 75 by Derham - ...
Last post by JimJordanOKC - Today at 12:33:22 PM
WE have lost storage and are selling our 1956 Limo originally owned by John D Rockefeller Jr.  It has been stored since 1973 and needs a FULL restoration.  The lower body is straight and solid but where the thick padded top was has LOTS of holes.  We were going to replace the roof skin from a donor cars and put a new padded top over it.  The family we purchased it from boughy it in 1962 when Mrs. Rockefeller traded it in.  I have documentation proving its provenance.  allante93jj@aol.com or text (405)201-7672