News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 cadillac convertable

Started by mr41cadillac, October 03, 2015, 10:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

what would be the approximate value of a 53 cadillac convertable ? also did they use 12 volt and is this a good year? thanks john

Dan LeBlanc

1953 was the first year of the 12v electrics in Cadillacs. Fairly well built reliable cars.

Pictures of your prospective purchase would help evaluation.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

mr41cadillac

i havent seen it but 1  picture and it looks pretty bright shiney paint. if its say nice looking and drive decent whats an approximate value. thanks john  or a range of values

wbdeford

For values, you can check nadaguides.com and hagerty.com.  I consider those values to be a bit inflated, but they at least give you an idea.

a '53 convertible is going to be expensive, so you will want to find out what is original on it and what isn't.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Scot Minesinger

The value of a 1953 Cadillac, or really any older desirable collector car is entirely about originality and condition.  Cosmetics seem to more valued than mechanicals.  Don't buy a car you do not look at, pictures are an unreliable means of evaluating condition.  The mechanicals are fairly simple and so they are reliable and fun to drive.  You can't really go wrong with a 53 Cadillac in good condition.  1953  was the first year of air conditioning (with unit in trunk, closed cars only) and so it had 12 volts.

If you have never purchased a car like this take someone with you that has, they will know the areas of possible latent rust.  I know a club member who purchased a nice looking 1954 Cadillac, and it only cost him 40k to repair all the rust, get it painted and have some of the chrome re-done.  Yes I write "only" as sarcastic, point is he would not have purchased it knowing the work required, but the result is beautiful.

Best of luck!

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Tito Sobrinho

Check also the transmission. In 1953 with the Hydramatic factory fire, several "53s were sold with the Buick Dynaflow transmission. Just a thought!
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Caddy Wizard

Pros and Cons:
First year of 12v, but last year of cloth-covered wiring (I think -- I could be misremembering this last point)
Last year of hydraulic windows and seat
Styling similar to 53 Eldo boosts value of 53 ragtops
Good engine
Good transmission (if Hydramatic, many try to avoid the Dynaflow)
4bbl carb still was somewhat problematic (only second year of development)
Last year older dash design (preferred by some due to its more classic appearance)
Extensive chrome and stainless is flashy and expensive to redo
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

G Pennington

Check for rusted floorboards!  The window hydraulic cylinders will leak down when parked for an extended time, causing the windows to partially open, allowing rain in.  I had to replace all my floorboards.  Also check the rear fenders just forward of the wheel- moisture gets trapped inside the fender in this area, and they rust out.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)