News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Binghamton Cadillac

Started by Kimberlin1974, August 17, 2012, 09:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimberlin1974

I am the owner of a 1957 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
serial # 5762038299. It has it's Original paint, Interior
and chrome and only 17000 original miles.I have been
researching the owner history of my car. I have the build
record and the owner's identification card so I know the
name of the original owner. My Cadillac was originally sold
at Guy F Johnson Cadillac dealer in Binghamton New york. 
The original owner passed away in 1959 and from 1959 until
2000 the history of my car is not known. I have spoken with
one of the previous owners and he thought there was a
collector that kept the car in storage for more than 20 years.
I believe my car has spent most of it's life in and around the
Binghamton New York area. I have posted some pictures of
my car in the hope that someone might remember this car
and help me fill in the missing history of my Cadillac. I know
that I may never find out everything about my car and that's
OK. It's an all original survivor and I feel lucky to have found
it. I guess a little mystery makes it all the more fun Thank You.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

You certainly have quite a treasure there Robert. Nothing like a mint original.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

R Schroeder

Beautiful car Robert. They are only original once.
Roy

Kimberlin1974

Thank you for all the kind words. I just took the car for a ride this morning it's beautiful day in
Sandusky Ohio. When I think of all the history this car has seen in it's life and all the people
that have owned it . I realize I am just a caretaker of this beautiful car and that one day I
will be gone and yet the car will still be here for future generations to enjoy.

Walter Youshock

Did you buy this car from Sinan at Binghamton Auto Exchange?  If so, you have one of the most original '57's known.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

DeVille68

Wow. Great color! Helps to emphasis the beautiful lines of the car.
Looks like someone preserved it well, thus the chrome looks fantastic.
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Kimberlin1974

Walter, I bought the Cadillac from Motorcar Portfolio in Canton Ohio. I did a google search of my car and vin number and found a old web site that listed my Cadillac for sale. It was called the Binghamton Auto Exchange in Binghamton New york. I wrote a letter to the dealership and asked them if they had any info on the history of my car. I received a letter from Sinan and the first thing he told me was my Cadillac had a name (Julia) named after the original owners wife. He told me he had purchased the car in 2000 from a collector who had the car in storage for close to 20 years. He did not remember the name of that collector. Sinan sold the car in 2008 to a private owner and that owner sold the car at a Pennsylvania auction and that is where Motorcar Portfolio found the car. I know the original owner died in 1959 when the car was only 2 years old. At that point I'm guessing his wife (Julia) kept the car up until 1986 that's when she passed away. Then a unknown collector had the car in storage until Sinan bought the car in 2000. I just wish I knew name of the collector or did Julia sell the car in 1959 . I know so many years have passed I may never have all the answers. When I first seen this car I could hardly believe it. I never seen a car that old so original it has it's fair share of stone chips and scratches and few thin spots in the  paint and yet it still looks beautiful. I feel a great responsibility to keep it all original and to preserve it for the future and to have fun driving it to car shows. Thank You

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Kimberlin1974 on August 19, 2012, 06:26:31 PM
   I feel a great responsibility to keep it all original and to preserve it for the future...

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown- (crest?) eh?  ;D

You certainly have a magnificent specimen which serves to document features of a 1957 Cadillac as originally built. Most can only dream of having a car like that. Best of luck with it.

*I see Sinan every week- any other questions for him?   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Welch

I remember that car. At the time the only flaw was the dash pad being warped. My 64 came from Guy F Johnson
Mike Welch
The Original 63 & 64 Cadillac Community
Serving 63 & 64 Enthusiasts SINCE 2000
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cadillac_6364_club/

Kimberlin1974

I spoke with Sinan about a week ago over the phone and he was very helpful. I still wonder
about the 1959-2000 history but I guess I'm very lucky to have info that I got. It's funny I
never liked history in High School and now it's all I think about . :) I have never owned a car for this long (1 year) and not bought any touch up paint . I know anything I touch up would take away from it and not improve it. I have had other old cars in the past but they were far from original. This car is a different sort of challenge and yes it does make me a little uneasy especially when  driving it in heavy traffic  however I won't let that stop me from enjoying it.