News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 CDV Upholstery revisited

Started by cappy102, November 26, 2017, 06:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappy102

Rather than tack these comments onto my previous post (http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=147151.0) it seemed reasonable to start a new thread.

Today I spent some time going over the Authenticity Manual for Class 16 cars, and making some checks and comparisons with my vehicle, #966.

Focusing on the upholstery, I found some challenges.

SMS sent me swatches of fabric, vinyl, and leather. After seeing the swatches it's readily apparent that the materials from SMS are of very high quality.

Unfortunately, the Sahara Cloth swatch was noticeably darker in value than the original (faded) fabric in the car. No surprise after 60+ years. One thing I previously failed to consider is that my Grandfather (original owner) was a two-pack-a-day kind of guy, and, back then, smoking in the car was accepted practice. The number of ashtrays and lighters would seem to indicate smoking while driving was even encouraged. Amazingly, there are no burn holes anywhere.

Over time, of course, the fabric acquired a yellow tint, which really throws the color matching off. (I would certainly like to hear from any members who have dealt with smoke-stained upholstery. I tried some off-the-shelf cleaners with no positive results, and I hate to go to the industrial strength level, not knowing how well the original fabric would tolerate harsher chemicals and/or the trauma of an extractor.)

The pattern of the SMS fabric swatch also has a slightly smaller 'scale', and it has more texture, which would mean replacing all of the original cloth with the new material. And once headed down that road, the leather and vinyl should probably be replaced, as well. The upholstery in this car is quite complex, and I can easily see $10k going into fully restoring the interior. Scary, but something to be realistic about.

Up until now my idea was to just replace the Sahara Cloth on the front seat, but at this point, I'll probably live with the shabby cloth on the driver side until I discover what other expensive surprises this great old Cadillac has for me. Darn that budget!

Hopefully, these observations will be helpful to others facing a similar job.
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

cappy102

By now, I'm sure that many readers are bored to death with this thread...but, who knows? There may be one 1957 Coupe de Ville owner out there that can benefit from my experiences.

So...I took photos of the SMS swatches on the actual fabric/leather of my car (attached). The vinyl was not in the ballpark, so I omitted that photo. The leather is pretty much spot on, considering the ageing/yellowing of the original leather. The Sahara Cloth swatch is also very close in shade, all things considered. Still, the 'scale' of the SMS swatch is smaller than the original, and the texture is different.

Seeing these swatches in the car...I have to say, the idea of re-upholstering is becoming more attractive. The Sahara Cloth is a truly elegant fabric. And the metallic blue leather makes a statement about the space-age dreams of that day (I lived there).

Me and this Caddy...it's like an arranged marriage. Don't even know her name yet, but she's growing on me.

Cadillac Jack 82

Your fabric is just aged thats all.  SMS is one of the premier dealers for auto upholstery.  You seats look good just the way they are and if they're original I'd leave them alone.  Its only original once!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mark,

Check your personal messages.  On Oct 29th I sent you contact information about original NOS blue Sahara fabric. Did you receive it?
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

cappy102

Right on, Tim...

I'm on your wavelength when it comes to leaving things alone. Especially with upholstery, which is one of those cart-before-the-horse deals. Right now the main thing is the engine and associated equipment. Finishing up the brakes. Getting her back on the road.

Good news is I'm finding a lot of original stuff here. Even the black-painted wooden wedge in the trunk!