News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Strange horn behind driver's side headlight of my 57

Started by Acmemopars, February 13, 2018, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acmemopars

The horns in my caddy are sounding a little weak and this weekend I was working on my newly acquired 57 Eldo, cleaning, etc.. and while cleaning the contacts on the driver's side horn behind the front bumper, I saw a small black wire just hanging behind the driver's side headlight.  When I looked closer, I saw a long strange looking horn bolted (mounted permanently) to the fender mount tucked way up inside the fender.  I hooked up a battery to the horn and got it to work.  It has a different pitch (higher pitch) than the normal caddy horn.  This seems like a strange place to install an after market horn.  Is this a factory horn ?  Would my caddy have come with 3 horns ?

Thanks
Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
70 Sunroof Charger 1 of 1
56 F100

Paul Tesone

Mike - that should be an AC Delco # 940 Type S trumpet horn - C note . It gives off a very distinct sound when combined with the two other non trumpet horns easily visible behind the grill .On the left side , a # 409 F note ; and on the right side , a # 410 A note . The trumpet horn is valuable . One is for sale now on EBay for $1500.00 . Although a difficult horn to come across , I think this one has been for sale for a while . So , I guess that the people who have 57 Eldo's either have the horn or are not willing to pay the asking price . You're lucky to have a working one . Paul Tesone CLC #6876 .

Cadillac Nut

Those are rare, and have a great sound when combined with the other 2 horns. 

Acmemopars

Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
56 F100

59-in-pieces

Michael,
How about a picture and measurements.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Acmemopars

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on February 17, 2018, 10:22:07 PM
Michael,
How about a picture and measurements.
Have fun,
Steve B.

Here ya go.  Looks like about 9.5” approx.

Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
56 F100