News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac wire Hubcap system with two locks per cap.

Started by Kevin29972, February 14, 2018, 07:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin29972

I have a set of wire caps I was lucky to locate local to me in near perfect like new condition. Each cap has 2 locks each opposite on the rim. I think I have a B Blue lock as the center is a triangle shape. I want to install them on my 73 Coupe even though these caps are likely Cadillac 80’s & up, the centers have the wreath and emblem on them. Question is, even if I were to find a key, I do not understand how the locks attach to the rims, or if my rims will work, or if more parts are needed. I am tempted to remove the locks, and use the caps that way, although I hate to risk destroying the locks in case of future use. Anyone know if there are pictures or instructions to show how the caps attach to the rim and lock? Any suggestions or advice on what I should do is appreciated.

Kevin

TJ Hopland

Those style locks should have a fairly long hook that goes through a slot in the rim.   If you had the cap positioned locks so the locks were at 12 o'clock and 6 you would want the locks turned so the hooks were horizontal.  When you install the cap you would then turn the locks 1/4 turn so they point in and become vertical.

Are you amazed at how heavy those things are?   In an age where everyone else was going to tiny engines and saving weight any way possible there is Cadillac with bigger than 6 liter engines and hubcaps that weigh more than the whole wheel and tire on an 'import' of the same era. 

I think that started in 77?  80's I believe they went to the style where there was one bolt in the center that attached to a 3 legged dome that caught some of the lug nuts that had a special washer on them.   I don't think the 2 lock was very well liked by many people.   I found them very difficult to operate even when you had the key and they were not chewed up.   The 78 I had I ended up cutting off the hook parts because it was such a hassle to deal with them.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

My wife some years ago had a 1981 Olds Toronado with
the second system you mentioned which had the single
center fastener lock.

However, that didn't keep the thieves from stealing all four
of them while she was shopping at the local mall one day.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Kevin29972

TJ Hopland,  Thanks for your reply, you are correct, the caps have long “hooks” on the back side of the caps. I suspected that there had to be some way to grab the rim, as you so well described. I found a correct key on EBay ($75.) but I think I will remove the locks or cut the hooks off like you said you did. My rims don’t have to slots for the hooks and it does seem like a difficult design for attaching the caps. I am sure a large pry bar would succeed in removing them easy enough, thus pleasing a crook!! Usually I am at a car show or surely never to far from the car where I might experience a situation like Mike described happening to his wife parked at the mall!
Thanks Gentlemen!!
Kevin