News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 lug bolts

Started by mirrormatic, February 25, 2018, 01:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirrormatic

anyone know length
PN
and sources to buy?
charles marshall

J. Gomez

Charles,

The front and rear are the same part # for the LH and same part # for the RH thread, see attach.

I’ve seen the RH on several auto part sites from Raybestos and Dorman although LH ones are not listed.  ???  :o
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

35-709

NAPA should be able to get the left hand threaded ones for you (if they don't stock them at the store), right hand thread should be easy. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bobby B

Quote from: 35-709 on February 25, 2018, 10:13:42 AM
NAPA should be able to get the left hand threaded ones for you (if they don't stock them at the store), right hand thread should be easy.

Charles,
Why not make them all "Right Hand" studs, and avoid any more issues.  Less hassle.....I always wondered what they were thinking mixing right and left hand threads together.
              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

35-709

:-[   That's an even better idea!!

J. Gomez

Quote from: Bobby B on February 25, 2018, 11:03:38 AM
Charles,
Why not make them all "Right Hand" studs, and avoid any more issues.  Less hassle.....I always wondered what they were thinking mixing right and left hand threads together.
              Bobby

Bobby,

One reason I’ve always hear was for the lug nuts to stay torque and not to come undone when driving with the wrong thread lug nut/stud on that side wheel. But…!  ???

What if someone (shady mechanic) reverses the drums?  :o

So sometimes the easy way may not be the safe or correct way. But..!  :-\
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

35-709

I would venture to say that most all cars built since 1960 or thereabouts have used right hand thread wheel lug bolts on both sides.  The idea that they might come loose proved to be false if properly torqued --- which you could say about left and right hand.  Converting to right hand threads on the left hand thread side is the reasonable thing to do --- then you could switch drum sides (by mistake?) without issue, at least as far as the lugs are concerned.

Bobby B

Quote from: J. Gomez on February 25, 2018, 01:31:03 PM
Bobby,
One reason I’ve always hear was for the lug nuts to stay torque and not to come undone when driving with the wrong thread lug nut/stud on that side wheel. But…!  ???

I've only seen a wheel come off once in my life. And that was because the "Kid" went to lunch and forgot to tighten the lug nuts  ::).   It was a Porsche 911 and the owner's Wife was the one picking it up. Needless to say, it was not a good situation. Luckily, no one got hurt......                                                 
                                                                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

walt chomosh #23510

Charles,
  Not to be too particular but all lug nuts are not created the same. The beveled angle that seats against the wheel has more then one angle. I've damaged some wheels by not adhering to these angles. Not rocket science but if your buying lug nuts why not get the correct ones for your dollar?......walt....tulsa,ok

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Charles,

Couple of comments:

Doorman makes these. NAPA should have a listing or go on line.

If you are interested on the right vs left hand thread check it out on Google. Interesting story and film about Chrysler and their reason for doing this (in the 40's if I remember correctly).

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series