News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Transmission not shifting into 4th gear

Started by Lsetjones, February 25, 2018, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lsetjones

I have a 1959 De Ville that shifts from 1st to 3rd just fine but will not shift into 4th. Any suggestions before considering a total rebuild? Thanks!
Larry J

Dave Shepherd

Nothing external is going to fix that, if you have a shop manual look at the trouble shooting page
and  you see will the common causes.

Lsetjones

Thanks Dave.  I didn't know there was a trouble shooting section in the shop manual. I will check it out. Just trying all resources before I pull the trigger on a rebuild.

Bobby B

Quote from: Lsetjones on February 25, 2018, 01:26:53 PM
I have a 1959 De Ville that shifts from 1st to 3rd just fine but will not shift into 4th. Any suggestions before considering a total rebuild? Thanks!
Larry J

If it sits for some time, it could be something as simple as something sticking valve in the valve body. Drop the pan, remove the valve body, and check to see if everything is moving freely. You might get lucky, but if it was giving you a hard time for a while, then it most likely needs a rebuild.
                                                                                                                                                                Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

For this trans to have 3 distinct shifts I kinda wonder if its a control issue rather than a basic 'gear' issue.   I say gear in quotes because what we are most likely talking about in autos is clutches, bands, or in this case a fluid coupling.

This trans is basically 2 2 speeds stuck together to make 4 speeds.   Front section has a high and low, rear has high and low.   Front low, rear low= 1st.   Front high, rear low=2nd.   Front low, rear high=3rd.   Front high, rear high=4th.   The front is mostly about a fluid coupling so its very smooth.  Rear is a clutch so its usually more noticeable but the real reason you tend to notice 2-3 is pretty much everything has to change state at the same time so the timing is critical for a smooth shift.

I suppose its possible that something is just weak so at the higher torque requirements of the higher gears it just can't hold on?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

If the transmission was not overhauled or overhauled a long time ago, the rubber seals may be hard. Especially critical is the front unit coupling. This element is responsible for 2. and fourth gear. Most of the time, when a fourth gear does not engage, the front unit coupling is the culprit.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lsetjones

Thanks to all for your advice. I did add on a tachometer to see if I could tell if it was shifting to 4th, no change up to 3800 rpms. My next step is to drop the pan in the next week and check to see if there are any noticeable issues as Bobby suggested. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again to all!!
Larry J

Jon S

Are you sure it is in the DR 4 position?  Try tapping the selector lever to the right. Also, a bottle of Lubeguard may help before any mechanical repairs.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lsetjones

Yes. Even tried moving shifter one notch to the right. When I did it slipped into low gear.

Jon S

Try a bottle of Lubeguard. It may do the trick.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lsetjones

cadman56

Check the TV rod adjustment.
Also, what mph does the trans upshift to 2 and 3?
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Jon S

TV Rod affects shift smoothness and downshifting.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT