News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Various problems with 60 sedan

Started by Chris Braun, January 26, 2005, 03:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Braun

Ok, Ive been on and off the board, asking various and assundry questions, and Ive got a bunch more problems to ask about.

First is reguarding the hydramatic transmission.  Is there any way to seal this thing up?  It seems to leak no matter what I do.  It leaks at the front seal, it leaks at the pan, it leaks at the dipstick, it leaks at the rear, Ive replaced gaskets, tightened bolts, even gone for the silicone method, and it still manages to leak.  What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, Im getting tired of smelling gas.  I did a lot of hose replacement, made sure not to leave any clamps too loose or make them too tight.  And waddya know, there is still fuel leaking from my fuel pump.  I cant figure where, but I can see fuel slowly seeping out.  Could that be a seal problem, or could it be rust?  If its indeed my fuel pump having a leak, Id like to propose a crazy solution.  Id like to remove the original fuel pump and fuel filter.  Put a cap on the original fuel pump mount, and run an electric fuel pump back by the tank, along with an inline fuel filter.  Anybody done that before?  Suggestions? Comments?  Oh.. and dont bother to tell me it wont be original, Im interested in functionality and durability, not originality.  

Third, Id like to replace my exhaust.  Not too sure about the original pipe size, but it sure seems awful small.  Id like to go up to 2.5 inch, but the supplier said "I cant guarantee it wont rattle"  Well, that sucks.  I wanna know how big I can go with new exhaust pipes, without any rattle.  2 inch? 2.25?  etc.  Im planning on 40 series mufflers, and no resonators.  Loud is the goal.  

Lastly, back to the fuel issue, it appears that the carb is leaking fuel at the adjustment screws and at the mounting plate.  Is that possible?  What may be a solution?

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Chris,

First, I am sorry you are having problems with your car.  I know the feeling. No matter how much I do, mine still comes up with something else to fix.  Its their nature, I guess.

On the tranny: leaks are inevitable.  To seal them properly at the front and rear main, you have to have those seals replaced.  The pan needs to be cleaned and resealed, and even then, its possible for it to drip.  The question you have to ask yourself is, how much is it really leaking?  Short of having the engine and tranny pulled, I do not know of a way to ensure that it wont leak.  Maybe someone else here can give you a silver bullit but I sure cant.

I have an electric pump on my 47 in addition to the mechanical, but on the 67 Mustang, we have only an electric.  It works like a charm.  My 56 also has an old 1960s electric in place of the mechanical that still works fine if a little noisely.  If you are not concerned with originality, pull the mechanical, and install an electrical pump back by the tank.  

The carburetor sounds like it is old and needs to be either rebuilt or replaced.
They can leak like seaves so it would be worth while to replace it with a like unit or a professionally rebuilt unit from USA Parts Supply or some other source.  

On the exhaust, I do not know really.  Mine vibrates a little but is 2.5" and works fine...has a great note but with the resonator is a lot quieter than it was when I only had the Flow Master on it.  Too damn loud for an elegant Eldorado Biarritz for my taste.  Now the 56 has huge pipes and rumbles like a tank.  I love that!!  Hope that helps a little...be patient and maybe someone who knows more can address your issues.

Good luck, my friend!!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Chris,

Firstly, the only way to find where the oil leak is coming from, is to raise the car up high enough to get comfortably under it, (on jack stands) and wipe the transmission as dry as you can.   Then complete the drying process with a general spray of "BrakeKleen" to remove all traces of oil.... Then start the car up, run it through the gears to operate the trans in all gears and shut it down and wait and observe just where the leaks appear....It may be necessary to leave it overnight.

Once the actual leaks have been found, then you can decide on which method is required to seal each leak.

One of the troubles with "going for a drive" is that the air flowing under the car can cause the leaking oil to be blown all over the place and appear as though the leak is somewhere else.

Next, Silicone should never be used to seal gaskets in an automatic transmission......The best way is to remove the part, and wipe the new gasket with vaseline, and re-attach to factory torque specifications.

If I remember, the dipstick is sealed by an "O" ring, so that is a simple task....and the same with the speedo driven gear.

Now, for the smell of Petrol (Gas).....The 60 has an open vent pipe at the front of the tank, and can be viewed whilst the car is in the air, just behind the diff......Does it happen when the tank is full, or all the time....I had a leak from mine, and it turned out to be the filler pipe rubber connector being loose, but the smell was everywhere

As you say the Fuel Pump is leaking......well, have the diaphram screws been tightened too tight...warping the body of the pump?....Is the glass bowl not properly sealing on the cork gasket?

There is nothing wrong with replacing the fuel pump with an electric one.....Just place the pump, preferable near the tank, and wire it up through an oil pressure switch so that when there is no oil pressure, the pump wont keep pumping petrol in case the ignition is accidently left turned on.....But, put in a secondry circuit wired up to a press button so that you can bypass the pressure switch, to prime the carby prior to starting....It is a common thing to replace the pump and cover the hole with a home made plate....but, remove the filler neck and remove the pushrod so it wont just be bouncing around on the cam eccentric....The best place for the inline fuel filter is between the tank and the pump.....why use the new electric pump to push petrol through a filter....The pump will last longer running with clean, filtered petrol.

Lastly, One of the problems with having an intermediate  tailpipe much larger than 2" original is the size of the "through chassis" apperture.   2.5" might just be too large and may contact the chassis....but, 2 1/4" might be okay.

My CDV is running a simple "Pulse" type petrol pump, up on the right front inner fender....I know it is in the wrong place,  but it was there when I purchased the car, and was good enough to supply a 454 BB Chev....I have converted my original petrol pump location into part of my home made positive crankcase ventilation system (PVC)   I will send you a picture via your email address.

Sorry for being so longwinded,

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

My fuel smell came from the rear (dont most smells come from here???) Turns out the sending unit gasket was bad, and fuel leaked out on the top of the tank. No way to determine this except by removing the tank and checking the top.

Chris Braun

Just wanted to thank you all for your replies.  Photos were great on the pump and engine bay, ideas about exhaust were insightful, and I think I gotta few problems nailed down and able to fix.  Thanks again, yall are just great :)