News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Eldorado Hood Hinges

Started by Matt, April 04, 2007, 06:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

I replaced both hood hinges for about $270 few months ago. The vibration is gone but every time I close it I still have to press it further down any suggestions  
Thanks
Matt

TJ H 20664

I had the hinges on my 73 rebuilt and it helped a lot but I still have to push the corners down most of the time.  If I close the hood fairly fast the corners do seem to pull down on their own but my alignment is not that good and I still remember how much the paint cost me so I usually close it slowly and push down to get the final latch.  I just chalk it up to crappy design of the 70s and the fun of owning an old car.

What vibration were you having?

TJ H
73 Eldo convert(s)
75 Eldo
78 CDV

tim groves clc 23586

I take it you have to push the hood down in the back.  If so, one of two things are wrong with your hinges.  Either the replacement hinges you have are bad, or you need to adjust them.  A sure way to tell if you have a bad hinge is to just start to close the hood, and watch the hinges.  If one starts moving before the other one, then the hinges are bad.  They should be tight and move at the same time.  If they seem to be move okay, then adjust the hinges so they set lower.  The hood should close smooth and flush at the back.  Tim

Richard Pope

The hood hinges on these cars are known for that problem. Unless you can find a replacement set, just keep pushing them down in back - as we all do.

For vibration, check to make sure all your rubber stops are in good condition or at the right height. Sounds like the front/rear corners do not have agood contact with the bottom of the hood.

Hope this helps,

Richard

EAM

MATT:  TIM IS RIGHT IN WHAT HE STATED.  YOUR HINGES DO NEED TO BE ADJUSTED PROPERLY.  MY 76 CPE DE VILLE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND EVERYTHING WE TRIED DIDNT DO IT UNTIL GOOD OLE JOHN GATELY FROM ROXBURY, MA CAME BY IN IN TWO MINUTES HE SHOWED US WHAT TO DO AND IT HAS BEEN PERFECT SINCE. GIVE HIM A CALL AND HE WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP IM SURE.  HIS TEL # IS 617-445-3300.  IF HE DOESNT KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT ALL CADDYS THEN WE ALL HAVE A PROBLEM, THATS HOW KNOWLEDGEABLE HE IS.  GOOD LUCK!

Matt

Thanks for all your help, Ill call John Gately in tomorrow.

TJ H 20664

Matt, you will have to let us know how this 2 minute fix works if it does.  Maybe post a picture if its that complicated.

Thanks!
TJ H

EAM

Matt I just talked to John Gately and he said you were quite happy with the help and advice he gave you reference hood adjustment on your Caddy.  Mine works perfectly and what a source for information he is.

Matt

I did not try it yet its been very cold in Colorado, but I cant wait to fix it once and for all.

Matt

I decided to oil/lubricate the hinges first as per Johns advice and that was all it took they work perfectly now. Thanks for all your help. Now I can move on to the next project.
Matt

Richard Pope

Ran out to the garage and REALLY oiled my hinges. I just had to laugh at myself when the hood closed perfectly. They work great now!
I guess sometimes we make things harder than they really are. I wonder what I will do with the set of hinges I bought? At least that is one item of the list!
Thanks for folloowing up your post...

Richard

Matt

You should try SMS Auto restoration at 1800 989 6660 http://www.sms-auto.com TARGET=_blank>www.sms-auto.com I bought mine from them and they gave me $150 for my core.  
Have a wonderful weekend