Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: 1941 trunk floorpan
« Last post by M. Patla 13876 on Today at 01:22:17 PM »
Thanks again the fiberglass is something to consider. Matt
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1978 Eldorado CAX wheel weights
« Last post by TJ Hopland on Today at 01:11:28 PM »
I have wondered how much difference the exact location of the weights makes?   Maybe it depends on where or why its out of balance in the first place?

The Caribu was based on a C (rwd) car wasn't it?    The offset on the Eldo wheel is more like a dually truck which at the time was pretty rare.   From the looks of things its pretty much the norm nowdays and tape on the inner part of the wheel seems to work on those so I don't know why it doesn't seem to work on ours?

I just checked the place I got some weights from last time and they are no longer in business.   Also checked a few online places I had noted and they don't have em anymore.    I had thought there was some new production lead free ones available but I see no evidence of any such thing now.   Maybe everything was old stock and those that have some are not parting with them at the moment?

Are their any regulations against selling or installing lead weights?   I know its discouraged but is it still legal to manufacture, import, sell, and install them?
It turns out there is another solution to the drop-the-pan-on-a-1967-Eldorado problem.

1. Remove the differential (only). This will require removing the differential bolts with horseshoe-shaped wrenches since the diff bolts are pretty much impossible to access otherwise.
2. Remodel the oil pan in the location of the "dent" that GM already put there. In my case, they cut the pan, bent back the problematic section of the pan until there was enough clearance to remove it, and then re-shaped and re-welded the pan (out of the car) so it will always have clearance in the future.

So now there is enough room to drop the pan -- and replace the oil seal -- without moving the engine or the transmission.

The attached picture is of a standard Eldo oil pan. The red outline shows where they cut and remodeled it.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1978 Eldorado CAX wheel weights
« Last post by 35-709 on Today at 12:35:33 PM »
I have my shop use stick-on weights mounted on the inside of the wheel at about the wheel's center line.  That is the method I use for the wire wheels on the '35, and used for my '73 Caribou while I owned it.
Want To Buy / Re: Museum Project 1942 Cadillac Series 75
« Last post by Steve Passmore on Today at 12:07:08 PM »
Barry, there's no right or left tail light jewel in 41. They are both the same.
General Discussion / Re: LaSalle 37 Stop Light switch question
« Last post by Steve Passmore on Today at 11:17:18 AM »
I have taken the advice on this thread Frank and fitted 3 stop switches straight of the shelf to three of my cars and they all work just fine with the slightest of pressure. Easy fix and just a few bucks.
General Discussion / Re: The High Cost of Chrome!!-UPDATE
« Last post by Roger Zimmermann on Today at 11:09:07 AM »
It would be interesting to see the 4 moldings before plating, just to have an idea what the plating company did. Anyway, those moldings are very well looking. Mine are not so nice...
General Discussion / Re: The High Cost of Chrome!!-UPDATE
« Last post by johnregrus on Today at 11:03:33 AM »
To reply to Cadillac Ken the shop was Paul's Chrome Plating in Evans City, PA
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1978 Eldorado door lock problem
« Last post by joecaristo on Today at 10:47:13 AM »
Auto Door Locks became an option in 76. Yes they use a differant neutral safety switch. Thats the only problem I ever had with this feature. Its kind of cool when you put the car in drive and all the doors lock.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1978 Eldorado door lock problem
« Last post by TJ Hopland on Today at 10:38:12 AM »
Does your car have the illuminated entry option and the automatic door lock feature? (doors automatically lock when you put the car in drive) if so they work in unison and if the door handle button becomes sensitive it will trigger the door locks.

Thats a interesting sounding system.   When did that become an option?   Also sounds like lots could go wrong.  Did it use a special park neutral switch? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10