Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Lead additive
« Last post by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on Yesterday at 11:25:29 PM »
Seem to be missing the point.  Tetra Ethyl Lead was added to gasoline to increase the octane rating.  When lead was slated to be removed from motor fuel, other octane enhancements were developed.  I run VP MS-109 in my quarter mile cadillac.  It is unleaded, and as the name implies is 109 Octane. Only $11.50 per gallon, so it is mixed 50/50 with 93 octane Chevron.  No Lead, no knock.
Greg Surfas
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 64 Carter carb help
« Last post by russ austin on Yesterday at 11:16:54 PM »
A plugged idle passage.
Hi Everyone,
New here and new to vintage cars. A dear friend of mine's husband passed away 3 years ago and he was an avid car collector. They live in Canada where the rest of his collection remains until she decides what to do with it. Meanwhile he kept this 75 Caddy in Florida for when they would spend their winter months. It has sat for 3 years under cover. So she called me and wanted to gift my husband and I this car.

So here we are now, with this beautiful car. We had it checked out and it has a few problems but nothing major. Mostly from it sitting. He really did take care of his cars. To be honest, I'm a little intimidated by this car. Will it break down a lot? Should we be afraid to drive it far? I want to enjoy this car. She was so
generous to give this to us and I want to take the best care of it. Any advice for a newbie? Attached are a few pics. Thanks Melinda
General Discussion / Re: Fuel Sender installation
« Last post by CLC 30326 on Yesterday at 10:13:58 PM »
I replaced mine last year on my 64. You might need to empty the tank first or risk fuel leakage if not. So make sure you drive it as close to empty as possible as you must remove the tank. If you need to install new sender it has to be calibrated before putting the tank back. That is done by having the grounding wire and the sender wire connected to the car. Lower the sender into the empty tank and see what it looks like on the dial in the dash. Adjust the lever on the sender until the dial shows an empty tank. Then refit it all back and replace the hoses with new. It might also be a smart move to clean out the tank. After  45 years it will be some stuff inside that should not be there.
However if you are lucky the grounding wire is damaged and only needs replacement.
For Sale / WTB 1976 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
« Last post by fellenzer on Yesterday at 09:11:22 PM »
Let me know what you have. Thanks. michael@fellenzer.com
Technical / Authenticity / 64 Carter carb help
« Last post by seok on Yesterday at 08:59:11 PM »
I have a fresh rebuild on my 64 Carter carb but it's having some issues, bolted it up and the car fired right up. Vacuum is at about 18" and steady. I'm trying to get it dialed in but The problem is the left idle mixture screw has zero effect on idle. It's running very lean and found that I can fully turn in, or even remove the left screw without a change.  I pulled the carb, opened it up and blew air thru the circuit. Everything SEEMS clear but I'm  more familiar with qjets and haven't worked on a Carter before. What would cause the left side to be like that? What should I look for?

Thanks Matt
« Last post by 35-709 on Yesterday at 08:43:35 PM »
Like marine service or racing.
j,

If you let it the car warm up ]then hit the gas to remove the fast idle for the choke does it run ok?

The Johnny
Hey Brian,
Im not...but only because I didn't know there was one. Is there any particular place I go for information about one in my area (Ontario, California)?

https://cadillaclasalleclub.site-ym.com/page/regions_chapters#southwest

Lists both San Diego and Newberry Park

« Last post by genecado on Yesterday at 08:19:58 PM »
I want to thank everybody for your opinions. I have heard that using unleaded gas is ok as long as you don't push your engine hard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10