News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 non functioning cruise control

Started by Paul Tesone, June 02, 2012, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

I'm posting this problem in the general discussion section rather than the technical section because I see a recent , similar post here by fellow member Roy Schroeder . My 76 Eldo's cruise control doesn't work either . First , is the cruise control in my 76 the same set up as Roy's 78 ? If it is , I'll print out the responses to Roy's post , give the information to my restorer , and save everyone the time of repeating information for me .  Second , let me try to explain what my restorer has told me . This stuff is way out of my league , but I'm sure some of you will know what he is talking about . He said he thinks the problem may be in the "transducer" - a unit which is attached to the firewall that has a wire entering it from the transmission and another wire exiting it  and going to the speedometer . He said the service manual states that the "coil in the transducer "( his words , not the manual's -  I guess some people refer to it as a solonoid ) is supposed to register 6.0 ohms but mine registers only 0.5 ohm . I hope I'm relaying this information correctly . So ... does it sound like this unit might be the problem ; and if it is this unit , can it be repaired/rebuilt or must I go junk yard hunting ? I'm waiting for J. Pinto to respond to that same question in case someone planned to suggest his name . Thanks for any help . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

R Schroeder

Paul, I can tell you that the 76 and 78 are different. As far as the testing of the coil, you would be better off getting a repair manual for your car and reading up on it, if you cant get an answer here.
Roy

R Schroeder

I looked up your part number for the transducer. Google it.
Group 3.885 Pt 25030712
It also states that the 2 or 3 prong terminal ones will work. If yours has two, it just says the disregard the third prong.
My parts books go from 76 to 80. My repair books are only for my car. Sorry.

You also could check with Cadillac Tim.
He reworks alot of parts.

Roy

http://www.cadillactim.com/index.html

Page with transducers.

http://www.cadillactim.com/page9.html

Paul Tesone

Roy - what great information ! I called Cadillac Tim and ended up buying a rebuilt transducer from him. I was tempted to go for the NOS one that you told me about , but Tim's was much less money . I figured that if my guy was incorrect about the problem being the transducer , the mistake wouldn't be as costly . It should be here by the end of next week . Can't test it out before next weekend anyway due to predicted bad weather . I'll let you know what happens . Thanks so much ..... Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .

R Schroeder

TJ Hopland

About the only trouble I have had with that style system is the grease (or what ever the factory lube was) gets hard in that little gear box.  I have had them actually seize up.  One car it stripped out the gear in the transmission.  The other it just broke the cable.  Its not a bad idea if you are working around your car to unscrew the cable that goes down to the transmission and use a small screwdriver to spin it to make sure it spins easy.  There really should be no drag.  If it is stiff maybe Tim has some tips on how it can be lubricated?   I took one apart once and did get it lubed but must have broke something because the cruise didnt work.   At least I got it to spin freely so my speedo worked again.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Paul Tesone

Thanks TJ - I'll pass that info along to my restorer . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just as a point of reference, Auto Zone still has (got one three weeks ago) a (Cardone) rebuilt cruise control transducer for just about $100.00.
What I have found however is 4 to one, most of the issues regarding cruise control operation are either bad electrical connections, leaks in the vacuum lines, or bad (or mis adjusted) switches on the brake arm.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Paul Tesone

Thanks Greg - more good information for my restorer . As mentioned above , I've already purchased a rebuilt one and I'm expecting delivery the end of next week . Let's hope my restorer made the correct diagnosis and that the rebuilt unit works like it's supposed to when installed . I'll  let everyone know once it's tested . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

cadillacrandy

I too am having problems with my cruise control on my 76 Eldorado. So far I have replaced the dash switch with a working used one. I have also replaced the transducer. After doing the test from the shop manual I can hear a click noise and the green cruise light shines. Now, after I undo the test connection and installing it properly nothing happens. I see that there is some sort of resistor wire? That part I do not understand. I am very lost here.

thank you

Roger Zimmermann

Just in case: maybe this is the turn signal lever which has a problem. I have a NOS one, used from 1974 to 1976 for cars with T & T steering column. Part number is 1603586.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Scot Minesinger

Back to the shop manual.  This is so well written any restorer should have no problem repairing a cruise control unit with careful reading and following directions.  All of the components you might need to replace to get the system working are not expensive.  I have repaired about five of them from 1967-1976 years.  The 1967 is much different (1970 thru 1976 similar).

Don't forget to use a vacuum pump and test the actuator linked to carb throttle.  Often that ruptures and is no good, used is only way to go in that instance.  As a general precaughtionary measure, all vacuum hoses (especially the one that penetrates firewall to brake switch) should be replaced if not already recent and all electrical connections should be cleaned and checked.

The problems I have seen are:

1.  bad vacuum actuator
2.  bad transducer
3.  Good vacuum hoses, but installed wrong and kinked (cut too short, did not allow enough for bend)
4.  bad vacuum hoses
5.  adjustment on brake switch required after brake work

I'm sure there are means of failure.  When you find the problem, still clean electrical connections and replace old vacuum hoses so it will work for a while.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacrandy

Great information to check out. It turns out that owner before myself had removed the lower speedo cable and took the upper cable directly to the (speed sensor) trany connection. Thus by passing the cruise control transducer all together. I am sure the FSM shows that in it but I could not find it. The FSM is not the easiest to search through or find needed information. (my experience )

Glen

Quote from: cadillacrandy on June 13, 2016, 10:02:34 PM
The FSM is not the easiest to search through or find needed information. (my experience )

Wait tell you try to look something up in a manual for a modern ‘puter car. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

The FSM is very well done for the cruise control on the 1960-1970 Cadillacs, there should be no trouble following it.  The FSM are available on e-bay for around $40, well worth it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

CadillacRandy,  what year and model car do you have?   If we know that we can give you some pointers on where to look on the car and or in the manual.     If its been bypassed you would want to make sure the unit is still able to turn freely before trying to hook it back up.   You don't want to damage anything like the gear in the transmission. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Kevin Bielinski #13320

I was looking at the cruise on my '76 today. I'm looking at the vacuum diagram in the service manual to see the proper hook up but its not clear as to which ports on the transducer that each hose is hooked to. I'm looking online for an actual picture in the car
CLC Western Regions Vice President
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
2001 Lincoln Krystal Hearse

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis
1983 Buick LeSabre Limited

EAM 17806

Quote from: R Schroeder on June 02, 2012, 03:15:25 PM
I looked up your part number for the transducer. Google it.
Group 3.885 Pt 25030712
It also states that the 2 or 3 prong terminal ones will work. If yours has two, it just says the disregard the third prong.
My parts books go from 76 to 80. My repair books are only for my car. Sorry.

You also could check with Cadillac Tim.
He reworks alot of parts.

Roy

http://www.cadillactim.com/index.html

Page with transducers.

http://www.cadillactim.com/page9.html
ROY!   Do you know if Cadillac Tim is still in business. I just can't get to his web-site. The address you stated above was the old one and doesn't work anymore. If you have his new site, if he's still in business, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

35-709

Cadillac Tim has been discussed in these forums several times recently.  Tim himself has posted that he is still in business --- with his phone number --- 864-348-7732, just a few days ago.  Apparently he has let his website go.  His phone number is also readily available at the MCLC forums --- http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/ --- in the thread titled ---    
"NEW Huge List of Cadillac Parts Vendors"     

Re: Cadillac Tim is the man for 67/68 Caddie
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »

Yes, I'm still in business. My work phone is 864-348-7732.

Tim

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2