News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Started by chstitans42, September 27, 2013, 12:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chstitans42

While I was waiting on the compression tester to come in the mail (hopefully tomorrow), I decided not to waste any time and clean up the white paint on the caddy. The white roof and tops of the doors was about the only paint that could even be saved. Ill have to paint the rest of the car. Take a look at the before and after pics:
BEFORE:

AFTER

Walter Youshock

Looking good so far!  I hope you plan to stick with the Maharani maroon.  So few Cadillacs were painted that color.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

chstitans42

Quote from: Walter Youshock on October 10, 2013, 10:04:07 AM
Looking good so far!  I hope you plan to stick with the Maharani maroon.  So few Cadillacs were painted that color.
Believe it or not, this 56 was painted Mandan Red. I know in the pics it looks darker, but its just the red is really really dirty and faded. Also, it has been repainted once in its life so it is not original paint.

chstitans42

Here are the findings from today. I wanted to pull the valve covers to see what I was working with, and to also help me find TDC on each piston to do the leak down test... Looks like Ill be waiting to do tha test, seeing I have two valve that are stuck open, and some more issues to deal with.

Anyone know how to replace the spring retainers that are broken? Also how to determine he condition of the cam shaft and the lifters? I hope nothing down deeper is worn, but I wont hold my breath.

Number 8 cylinder

Number 2 cylinder

Number 3 cylinder

J. Gomez

Ben,

Man that is a really a sick puppy..! I would not be surprised if there is more internal damage from just looking at these pictures. You can gain access to the hydraulic lifter by removing the intake manifold.

Sorry to say but it is time to call your local machine shop. Not sure if you know City Motor Supply in Harry Hines.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, never seen that before.

I personally, would be going deeper into the engine to see just what else is wrong.

But, the retainers can be changed whilst the head is still on the engine.   The workshop manual describes how to do it.   But, as Jose says, parts have to come off to access the lifters.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chstitans42

Bad news boys. I ran the cylinder leak down test this morning and these are the numbers.
#1 at 90 PSI is at 40%
#2 at 90 PSI is at 20%
#3 at 90 PSI is at 30%
#4 at 90 PSI is at 40%
#5 at 90 PSI is at 45%
#6 at 90 PSI is at 30%
#7 at 90 PSI is at 40%
#8 at 90 PSI is at 40%

All 8 cylinders have compressed air coming out of the intake manifold at the oil fill cap, meaning the main problem is piston rings and or cylinder walls.

I dont have the money to pay for an engine rebuild, so at this point I am undecided on the next course of action.

chstitans42

BIGTOM

chstitans42

I am having trouble with getting the valve spring retainers off the valve springs. I finally got the spring compressor tool, and it works very well. The only problem is that once I get it compressed, that valve starts to move up and down and the end wont pop out of the keepers/retainer. I really do not want to pull the heads. I have heard of putting rope inside the cylinder to give the valve something to push against. I am hoping to get a few pointers from you guys.
Thanks!

J. Gomez

Ben,

You could inject compressed air into the cylinder while both valves are closed. This should hold the valves while you used the tool. Just make sure all spark plugs are off, easy to turn the crank shaft and also allows for venting. Also there is no need to apply a large psi volume, just enough to keep the valves from sliding down.

Other folks may have additional tips..!

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

chstitans42

Considering pulling the intake and heads. Other than new head and intake gaskets, is there anything else I will need to buy if I go that route? Do I have to buy new bolts to hold on the heads?

chstitans42

Also in the mean time, I want to paint the valve covers, intake and heads the correct Cadillac Colors. Does anyone have any pointers on where to get paint? Does a normal auto parts store have the right colors?

D.Yaros

Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

chstitans42

chstitans42

Question of the week:

Should I get the heads professionally rebuilt since I have them off, OR should I just replace the broken valve spring retainers and re assemble?

BIGTOM

Quote from: chstitans42 on October 27, 2013, 06:26:59 PM
Question of the week:

Should I get the heads professionally rebuilt since I have them off, OR should I just replace the broken valve spring retainers and re assemble?

Rebuild them now if you've got the $. Replace the exhaust seats (I think) so you can run unleaded gas. Just my opinion.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be having them rebuilt, and have inserts fitted to the Exhaust Valves to counteract valve recession due to Unleaded Petrol.

You will probably find that they also require valve guides as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chstitans42

Here are a few pics of some progress. Plans are to pull the drive train tomorrow, but in the mean time I have began the cosmetic resto of the accessories on the engine. The first pic shows the paint a lighter color of blue, but the color is more like the second pic.

chstitans42