News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Custom Schmustoms

Started by Quentin Hall, June 05, 2014, 05:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

C.R. Patton II

Hello Quentin

Rik is a creative stylist.  Nice work!
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

russ austin

Anything done in good taste, and done with quality craftsmanship is OK in my book.
R.Austin

joeceretti

I like the final look.  :P It's not a series 60 though, it's a Sixty Special.  ;D

If it's done as it would have been done in the 30's and not turned into just another modern Frankenstein with a classic shell then it will be a thing to behold.

Richardonly

Normally, I like  an original car, especially in a Cadillac. 

BUT this final version truly is  a thing of beauty!!!

It should have been offered as a sports coupe when it was new.  I would want one, but so would everyone else.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Chris Bryant #19358

Great concept! I hope it goes ahead!

Chris Bryant

harry s

Very nice. Not radical just tasteful.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

INTMD8

Very cool!  I like the idea and think it's best with no rear side windows.

IMO the body to top proportions may be slightly off.

I would like to see it with either another inch of roof height or 1-2 inches sectioned out of the body just for comparison  :)

Gene Beaird

Quote from: INTMD8 on June 05, 2014, 12:16:42 PM
Very cool!  I like the idea and think it's best with no rear side windows.

IMO the body to top proportions may be slightly off.

I would like to see it with either another inch of roof height or 1-2 inches sectioned out of the body just for comparison  :)

My preference is one of the '5-window' versions, but I agree, less top chop would look more in scale and be better balanced, IMHO.  Chop it enough that someone thinks something is different, yet no one immediately says it's been chopped. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

joeceretti

I have looked and looked again and then again. It's missing the beautiful side vents in the aprons. It needs something there.
I also think the front fender should continue back into the doors like the 1941 but even more to make the new lower profile appear more streamlined. Extending the front fender would make the door look less prominent.

Quentin Hall

The whole process of this design is to try and do it a if it had been started in 1940 and the war intervened and it was completed in 1946. There is the precedent of a factory 4 inch top chop for Sloan or Kettering. Does anyone have a pic?. I wanted to keep as much of the original styling possible. I love Bill Michelle's "suitcase" fenders and despite the post warcustom tend to flow the front fenders front to rear ala 41 Buick, I want to keep the Cord look fenders.
Yes I too am torn between 3 window coupe/roadster or 5 window coupe. I love each design. Maybe someone else can build the ones that I don't.
I really want to achieve the look that Bowman Schwartz and Coachcraft achieved during this time.
I must say that Rik's use of the earlier hubcaps really gives it an elegant feel.
I love the 39 Goddess but have to admit that the smooth good really emphasises the aero look.
Sometimes it is hard to redesign from the future looking back cos we are doing so with the knowledge of where the designs and the eras ended.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

My vote would go to the car in photo D - (with hood ornament, single strip molding, "Darrin" roof) - but raised back up to the proper height.

I think that would be a winner.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quentin Hall

So the consensus is that there is no consensus. No wonder Cadillac offered  such a smorgasbord of custom bodies for their earlier series cars. Everyone has their own taste.

It seems that the roof chop is too severe for some. Perhaps it is because the standard Sixty Special is so tall.
The window height that I have "chopped" to is the same as the height of a standard 46 conv.. The whole idea of this custom is to look forward to the future from the past. Harley Earl was closely following custom trends emerging from California. Heck he was a Caifornia customiser....that's how he got to Detroit in the first place.Harley always said a rectangle is more appealing than a square. Roof chops were done even earlier. Their is a custom Brunn? 30 31 v16 with  a heavily lowered conv/coupe top. Check out a Voison.

A mate has just bought a,41 conv and it is on it's way. It will be interesting to get a few dimensions for  comparison.
I would still love to see the Factory chopped Sixty Special. Sloan got a coupe with standard roof height and it looks like a pimple, on a bum. Kettering got 41 stretched four inches. ... Their was another supposedly chopped. Yann would know?? Where are you mate?
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I should have clarified:

The suspension should be raised to correct height; not the roof - which adds to the sportiness.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Not sure now the source of the information but the 40-60S factory chopped cars are 2 inches I believe and not 4".  The 40-41 convertibles are definitely a 2 inch chop in true length.  The actual elevation view chop would be less.  In other words the stainless trim in the middle of the windshield is 2 inches less in length on the convertibles than the sedans and coupes.  the angle is approximately 50 degrees so the actual elevation view chop is 1.5 inches.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Quentin Hall

Thanks Brad,  it was in a Self Starter that I read about the 4inch chop. I don't plan on doing any cutting till I get a goodlook at the 41 and relate sizes to 46 conv. Longer lower wider was the creed for a few years. The Bowman,Schwartz 40 has a very low screen. Anyone know who owns it? I'd love a windshield measurement.
The pic shows the white template for a 46 conv . It is sitting on the shoulder of the door so in actual fact would be half an inch lower.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Q,
First I'd like to say I'm glad that this topic was reinstated.
Re my pick of the proposals... if you're SERIOUS  about the 60S theme, the only logical choice is "B" .
All the others remind me of a certain roof line which I know very well. LOL!
I seriously doubt that any GM cars had a 4" chop. Way to radical. Maybe a 4" stretch??? Brad pointed out the correct W/S to chop relationship.
Have fun, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quentin Hall

You are completely right Bob, and interestingly the first person to recognise B for that reason.  It's just that when I saw the 3 window hardtop....and then the roadster..... Especially with the chrome windshield frame. It was goodnight.  Roofline reminded me of a certain Calif custom that both Rik and I love.
It's kind if like going to a school prom again. I fall in love with every beautiful girl I dance with.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

How i spent my fall vacation.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

INTMD8

Quite a transformation. Very nice work!!!  Looking forward to watching your progress.