News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 smog pump

Started by Rdtreur, April 09, 2015, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Interesting question.  Pace cars had 1970 high compression "service replacement" motors with 73 cams and no AC compressor belts. HEI was most likely in the pre production stages, so it might have been available, but on one of the "work sheets" for the Pace cars they indicated the distributor was a "1970 high centrifugal unit set at 10 degrees initial".  The3y used a NON EGR (1972) intake manifold with a highly modified 1972 eldo QJ.  A small footnote indicates there was some chamber reshaping of the cylinder heads.  Read that highly ported, and the valve springs were shimmed.
Does that help answer anyone's questions?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

I remembered that there was something different about the engines and that there were some 'new' things used on those cars so I was just wondering if that was maybe one of the things.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

speach

I gutted my air pump and sealed the head holes up with dimes. Works great. If you can get your hands on a 70 motor you can use those brackets because it didn't have the air system on it.
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

Cadillac70Jack

If your 500 Eldorado or 472 motor is equipped with a smog pump :delete for off road use by unbolting brackets, remove FAN AND all the fan belts
Now install a 32inch 3/8 wide belt over crank pulley and water pump thats it. cost $8 dollars. You don't need any type of expensive pulley setup!!
now reinstall all the other belts  AND FAN your all set!! 

1gordyk

Smog pump delete 1972 472. Back in 2017 Cadillac70Jack posted the following post.  I was wondering if anyone had tried his method of running the belts after delete of the pump and if so how did it work out. I believe his idea was to just stretch a 32" belt over the crank pulley and the water pump pulley without any means to adjust the belt. See Cadillac70Jacks post below.

"If your 500 Eldorado or 472 motor is equipped with a smog pump :delete for off road use by unbolting brackets, remove FAN AND all the fan belts
Now install a 32inch 3/8 wide belt over crank pulley and water pump thats it. cost $8 dollars. You don't need any type of expensive pulley setup!!"
now reinstall all the other belts  AND FAN your all set!! 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

That's an ancient topic. Last action 6 years ago! The OP &others are long gone. Why not start a new post??
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Steve W

I'm curious too! Has anyone done this? Did it work?

Didn't know you could just stretch a belt over the crank and water pump pulleys without a way to tighten it!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

TJ Hopland

I dunno how well this would work.  With the quality of todays V belts I can't imagine this working for very long if at all.  It could end up being super tight which won't be good for the water pump bearings or the belt or it will end up loose and slipping.  Many of these cars didn't have clutch fans so there is going to be a fair amount of variable load from the fan as well as the alternator depending on electrical loads.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

I've seen this before.  IMO it might get you home in a pinch, but I wouldn't count on it for day to day driving.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

A short cut is the fastest way to get somewhere you did not want to go. Get the correct pulleys or leave it alone.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-