News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac - Rim Identification

Started by Dan Eckstein, July 06, 2015, 09:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Eckstein

Hello Folks,

Does anyone know how to identify a rim for a 1959 Cadillac?  Are there any numbers or markings?  The car I am restoring has three wheels that are the same and one that is not.  I am not sure if they are even the original rims.  Before I begin a search for rims I wanted to know what I have first.

Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

DylanFan52

A similar thing happened to me when I started working on my 1959 Series 62.  I did not realize three of the rims were not original until I tried to put the original hubcaps on the wheels. Only one fit.  Will theoriginal hubcaps fit?  When I discovered this a forum member sent me the rim width.  I have his message somewhere and will try to find it.

Dan Eckstein

The hub cap doesn't fit.  I would be great to have the measurements!  Thanks! 
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Cadillac rims for 1957 1958 1959 and 1960 cars have a larger diameter AND a "wider" rolled lip that allows the teeth on the cap to grab enough to hold the cap in place. I have seen many "modified" caps that unknowing owners have tried to cut down so the can put them on WRONG WHEELS. ALSO, tire shops do NOT KNOW about special Cadillac Wheel weights that work with these wheels and caps. Here are a few photos I hope will help. See the diameter of the correct wheel is 1/4" larger than the wrong wheel. Also note that the correct wheel has NO provision to hold a small center cap. SOME later Cadillac wheels will have the "wider" rolled lip and no small cap holders, but are the smaller overall diameter, so use caution when searching for rims. The correct rim is about 16 5/8 O.D. see picture 1 and 3. Picture 4 is of a later rim, it measures 16 3/8. Picture 2 shows a Cadillac Wheel Weight.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

russ austin

There is a date stamp on the inside rim.  It will read; 59
R.Austin

Dan Eckstein

Thanks for the information!  I check my rims tonight and I have mess.  -Two rims are 1988.  -One unknown, no markings - size is 16 1/2.  The other two I have not taken off yet. Good items.   :o

Take Care,
Dan
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

Dan Eckstein

Hello,

I have lead on some rims but I noticed they have three holes just of of the lip.  Is that normal?  I am unsure.

Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would hazard a guess that these aren't normal, and that someone could have solved their caps falling off with screwing them to the rim.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan Eckstein

Do you think they will be fine with holding air??  Or will they leak?
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not a problem in the air department.

In Drag Racing, before Bead Locks were invented, we used to place screws around the rim, into the tyre bead, to stop the rim from spinning inside the tyres.   When this happened, the air valve would get town off the inner tube, and this is not good.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

R S Steven

Hi All,
I was out checking on my brakes today and took a picture of the Rims on my 59 Coupe. I assume that they are original since the car has been in the family since the early 60's.

Vomit

Bumping a very old topic I know, but this seems to be the most informed thread on the matter.

Hoping there is a genius out there who can tell me if an original 59 wheel cap will fit the wheel below.

Owner says he has owned various models of caddy including 59/60 as well as others and im too far away to test fit.
Any help much appreciated.
1959 Eldorado Seville

Cadillac_Tony