News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Inside tank fuel sending unit

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, August 14, 2016, 02:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Hi all,

I need to change my inside tank fuel gauge sending unit but I don't want to drop tank and leave car in my driveway waiting for new unit to arrive. It is a 1961 series 62 convertible. Can someone let me know if it is a one or a two line unit?
Thanks
Jack
1961 Cadillac

quadfins

No air conditioning - one line

AC - two lines

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

russ austin

Look up under the car. You can get under the car at the front of the gas tank.  You will see either 1 line or 2.
R.Austin

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I installed a new gauge and after 2 months it stopped working. The dash needle stays at "F" even with 1/2 tank. Do i have to drop tank again? >:(
Thanks
Jack
1961 Cadillac

Dan LeBlanc

Check to ensure the ground wire is clean and making a good contact on the frame near the fuel filler neck.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

Quote from: Jack Miller CLC# 24441
I installed a new gauge and after 2 months it stopped working. The dash needle stays at "F" even with 1/2 tank. Do i have to drop tank again?   Thanks  Jack  1961 Cadillac 

First find the wire from the gauge, to the tank.  Disconnecting this wire should send
the gauge to F or above.  A good ground on the gauge wire should put it at E.  Failing
that check the gauge, otherwise look for a bad connection from the wire to the tank
unit, and from the tank unit to ground.  The tank unit wire to ground should measure
in the ballpark of 0 to 100 ohms; open circuit is a bad tank unit.  Bruce Roe

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Thanks!
Car just had total strip and paint. They took doors, hood, trunk, bumpers, etc off. Maybe they popped ground wire as when I drove it there it was working.
Thanks
Jax