News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Must rebuild my 1940 Cadillac 346 engine. Need parts sources

Started by z3skybolt, December 01, 2016, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Gents,

Good news is I seem to have found someone to do a complete rebuild of my 346 engine in my 1940 LaSalle.  The 346 was put in the LaSalle when it was restored in the late 1990s.  I feel comfortable with those who are willing to do the work.  My main concern is that they of necessity will have to use new parts from foreign sources....probably China. That gives me great concern.  The rebuilder has told me that he would gladly use any NOS parts that I can find.  I know it is highly unlikely. But if anyone knows of such I would appreciate hearing from you via this form or personal message.  Obviously everyone facing a rebuild has dealt with this issue. So it is nothing new. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

harry s

I have always used Terrill Machine in Texas. They used to have some NOS parts left over from WW II, not so sure if they still have those but what they sell is good quality. They advertise in Hemmings but don't have a website as far as I know. Good Luck,    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Len Sholes

Hello Bob, I don`t think you should have a problem finding parts to rebuild your engine. I rebuilt a 1939 Cadillac engine for a friend of mine back in 2007 and all the items I needed were supplied by suppliers in the states. The thing that I found was when I phoned and talked to suppliers it sounded like they all source from the same manufacturers. At the time I rebuilt the engine I purchased the majority of my parts from Coopers Vintage Auto parts in California but I don`t think they are in business any more. As well as Terrill there is Kanters and Egge. Also you might try Olsens for your gaskets. There is information about using a Mercedes Benz rope type rear seal and I would recommend you use it. The engine I did has had a lot of miles put on it since I rebuilt it and no leaks. One thing you should know is that the rod bolts can cause you some heart ache when you try to remove them and I could not find a supplier for new ones. I lucked out and had a friend who had an old engine and I was able to salvage some from it. The hydraulic lifters can be dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. Don`t forget to get you camshaft done and replace your timing chain and gears. Good luck. 

z3skybolt

Thanks Gentlemen,

No doubt parts are available.  The machine shop which will do the rebuild has a source for all the parts. I was just "dreaming" that some NOS stuff would still be out there and the rebuilder said he would use any I can come up with.  The new foreign stuff scares me. I want to drive this car many thousands of miles during my remaining years. I am 69 already! Hate to spend many thousands of dollars and have a crappy part ruin it all.

Staying tuned for further thoughts.
Bob

boothandco

Chad Booth

Current:
1937 Series 75
1999 Fleetwood Limited
1976 GMC Motorhome
Previous:
1989 Sixty Special
Reformed Lincoln 4 door convertible owner.
boothandco@sisna.com

z3skybolt

Sorry, 

I just found this question. Shepard Automotive in Akron Ohio is rebuilding the engine.

Bob R.