News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power Antenna dilemma

Started by SharkwestNYC, January 30, 2017, 06:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkwestNYC

1989 Eldorado antenna problem.  I let my radio tech remove and dispose of the car's original power antenna. Now 6 broken antennas later I'm at my wits end on how to resolve this problem.  Any tips on how to find a salvaged original antenna?  I see lots of antennas for sale on eBay but I assume they are similar to the junk currently on the car.

I appreciate any suggestions.

R. Merton
New York City

GBrown #8092

I have had really good luck with getting them out of junk yards. They are in the trunk in that vintage (i think) and fairly easy to removed. Usually, if they are down they worked.
What is breaking on yours: the shaft, the drive  or the motor?
They are rather easy to swap parts between them  to make a one good one out of two.

I also seem to recall Cadillac Tim can rebuild them for that vintage as well.

Good Luck

Glenn

SharkwestNYC

Sorry for the delayed response.  My guess is the motors fail?  My radio guy must be using the worst possible antennas available as he's only charged me for 2 replacements.  The new ones seem to die after 2-3 days use.  Unfortunately, he never gave me the car's original.  Guess I should call him and ask if he saved it.  There are no junk yards or salvage yards that I know of anywhere near NYC. 

Thanks for your response.

Rich

cadillactim

Tim Groves

SharkwestNYC

Tim, I'm new to this forum.  how do i find a PM?

cadillactim

Should show up in your regular email.

Tim
Tim Groves

Scot Minesinger

Go to "My Messages, it is the text above the front end of the word "club" and Cadillac in add "What's your classic worth?"  Click on read "my messages".

On the antenna definitely buy a used one and have it rebuilt if is not working.  The aftermarket stuff just does not seem to hold up.  Hopefully the audio people did not ruin the connector so that it will interface with an original antenna.

The last audio installer my friend worked with lowered the top of his 72 Eldorado convertible and used a back hoe to remove the dash - just terrible sloppy work. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

SharkwestNYC

Thank you, I found the My Message key and it worked.  I have an excellent mechanic that services my Eldorado and he sent me to the audio tech.  He did a nice re-build on the radio but isn't having much luck with the antenna.  The new antennas he installs work 2-3 days and then they are toast.  Yes, fingers crossed that he didn't muck up the connections. 

Richard Merton
New York City

cadillactim

Richard

I do have a factory antenna for your Eldorado. You can call me at 864-348-7732 or email me at tagroves@wctel.net

Tim
Tim Groves