News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hi Folks ! Looking for basic informations about Cadillac

Started by TheFrenchGuy, February 03, 2017, 02:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fielding

Quote from: Carl Fielding on February 18, 2017, 06:32:31 PM
Question no. 1 : Do you like the style of Michel 14's light green Eldorado coupe in reply #72 ?

Question no. 2 : please link me to the late '70s Cad you have recently become interested in.

Almost all Scandinavians speak English as a second language extremely well. Accents each way is a slight impediment. So many people all over the world speak to one another in their second language , English , that accent filters are standard equipment. As a Spanish speaker , I find it almost impossible to communicate with an Italian speaker ,but even much more difficult with French. However Portuguese is another matter. With difficulty, I can understand them to a somewhat useful degree. They understand me quite well. Your level of communication with an English as a second language speaking Scandinavian would be higher yet than that. Go to the huge multi thousand car meet in Sweden some time. Just start talking with any owner of any car with a Scandinavian license plate. You will see what I mean.

Please respond to questions 1 and 2 , above.   Thank you , Carl 

TheFrenchGuy

Hi again Carl !

Yes, Michel's Cadillac is the kind of Cadillac that really pleases me. It is smaller, but I won't find A Cadillac from the sixties within my budget, my only chance is to find a 1977-1979 Coupe. 

I'm sending you a private message to answer question number 2 !
L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

Laurent , I had a lengthy conversation with Virgilio in both English and Spanish. Unfortunately the car is in Las Vegas. It MIGHT have been a possibility, as it is said to have only 63,000 miles. There is some deferred maintenance, and some sun damage also. Not necessarily deal breakers, but I don't think you should get a one way bus ticket to Las Vegas for this one. Don't forget , the very best deals on old Cadillacs seldom last 24 hours on Craigslist in any major city in the U.S. As you know , if you are 100% certain that you can make a significant NET profit on a purchase , that Cad is worth considering. Otherwise NO GO under any circumstances whatever. I am thinking so much about Southern California, that I am starting to think how nice a road trip sounds.  - Carl

TheFrenchGuy

One more time I owe you big Carl ! Thanks to your call you helped me winning some precious time !

This car being in Las Vegas is a problem, towing it to Compton would be too expensive...

Several new offers have appeared on CL so I'm not in such a dire strait, there is still hope ! If there's a cad waitin' out there for me I will get it cause I pour a lot of efforts and have the kind and strong support of people like you !

Thanks a lot Carl

I'll keep you posted !
L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

Laurent , I do not see anything at all from Santa Barnara to San Diego. I have sent you pics of a '72 Eldo in Santa Barbara which I called about today. If you can find a good deal on a '70s Cadillac which needs VERY little work , buy it even if it is NOT the Cad of YOUR dreams. If it is a good deal , you should be able to make enough money off it to totally pay for your trip , and leave you something towards your NEXT trip. Then you get to play with a Cad for a while , and little by little learn enough to do better next time. And so on. If there is something interesting, you may email me at  mrcfielding@yahoo.com. Show me what looks good to you , I can comment and call for you. There is always that '76 Eldo with the sunroof and the expensive aluminum wheels. I can drive it to Compton for you , it would be fun for me. You certainly could make money from that one.  - Carl

TheFrenchGuy

Hi Carl !

Nice to read from you again, thanks again for your kindness and dedication. Yesterday a new ad appeared on CL for a 78' CDV a magnificent one right within my budget's range ! It was parked in a garage for 4 years but started right away with a new battery. Its interior and body are in good condition the asked price is 5500 firm but I if this car is the one for me I will try to bargain a bit (500 bucks off). It will need a change of fluids and before this a close inspection but all in all it looks promising !

There are several other cars to look at, like this cheap CDV in Inglewood  or this blue sleeper in LA (must be sold, no new ad for more than one month) so if I find something really promising I will give you a phone call or an Email to get your opinion. You have all my gratitude and respect for this tremendous help you're offering me there.

Now I've got to get ready, I'm on vacation from now till March 13th  so I must get ready for my first trip in USA.

I just can't realize what I'm about to do... with or without car my journey will be a great experience full of good surprises and with a lot of people to meet !

Thanks a lot !

Friendly yours, Laurent
L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

Yes , in any case , call and give me your new phone no. I will give you a private line I will leave on 24 hours. Of course email too.  - CC

Carl Fielding

Please send me a link to the '78 CDC for $5500 on cl. I don't see it. Cheap cars in Inglewood are not tje ones for you. And what is the blue sleeper ? If you send me links , I can point out things for your consideration. Please stay in touch.  - Carl

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Laurent,

I had come close to purchasing this 1977 Coupe deVille d'Elegance myself but it turned out the steering wheel spoke was cracked (very common on the style of rim used in 1977 & 1978). That is why the steering rim had been wrapped (difficult to see in the photos provided).

Other than that, this car was truly as magnificent one-owner example of a '77 Coupe deVille as any I ever saw with only 22,000 miles with all original paint in Frost Orange Firemist, one of 6 extra cost colors offered that year. This car was loaded to the hilt and it is the only 77/78/79 I have ever seen with dual power recliner seats. I had seen this car in person when the original owner brought it to a local CLC show back in '98. It was virtually perfect.

After many months of trying to sell the car for unrealistic figures, the seller (who had inherited the car) would have accepted $7,500 which was a very good price for such an outstanding example which I would have paid if I didn't already own another '77 CdV, and if the wheel was perfect, it would have been a go for me.

In any case, I wanted to cite this example as a yardstick of what $x will buy in one of these cars.

You should also be aware that between $5,000 and $10,000 is WORLDS APART in one of these cars. Every extra dollar spent up front acquiring the best will pay off infinitely in the long run. There is no economy in buying cheap only to spend thousands later trying to make a turkey into something it will never be. It is simply not achievable and long before you get close, you will find yourself upside down in no time - and your dear Cadillac will come to represent failure, misery and broken dreams. DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. Just offering some friendly advice: Now is not the time to worry about saving a few grand one way or the other which, in the greater scheme of life, will not amount to a hill of beans - especially for something of permanent value that you can enjoy for years or even decades.

When you buy the best, you will have no regrets.   :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Cadillac-DeVille-d-039-Elegance-/332043771782?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d4f59df86%3Ag%3A3EQAAOSwvg9XTzDi&item=332043771782&nma=true&si=yNsZIA22CG7iiOpbO3O1rHfyz%252FI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TheFrenchGuy

Hi Again !

This Coupe de Ville 1977 sold on Ebay was a great car indeed !

I do agree with you Eric, so don't worry I won't make this mistake. I'm traveling with two experts who are also my friends and they won't let me buy a piece of crap that would turn into a money pit or a nightmare like you wrote. I have already three cars at home, two vintage and a brand new one, if I bring back a car I will have to sell one of them but I will have to keep spending money to give proper maintenance for the two others, so I will be sensible enough not to bring back a hip of rust.

So I came to this conclusion : I will only buy a Cadillac if I find a affordable Coupe de Ville from 77 to 79 that isn't perfect but has no mechanical problems and a nice interior.

If I don't I will get back to France and keep saving and then come again next year with more money.

There are many American Classics, my friend had bought novas, Camaro, Gran Torino, Pontiac Lemans, mustang and such and I had some rides with them, but to me Cadillac is the only reference I can really relate to. Coupe de Ville is such a nice name, so french... (a coupe for town).

Carl, I'm sending you a MP with the link about the car I was talking about in my last message.

Thanks again for all these advices and kindness

Laurent
L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

This car is what some of us refer to as a definite maybe ! It is the second worthwhile candidate you have found. Very good going , Laurent ! I called Bruce , the owner , and left a message asking him to call me after work. We have at least 8 hours to wait. Again , the problem is being the first guy with the money. You can not be hurt buying a car which will sell at a net profit. The three of you can make that judgment. Eventually purchasing from a fellow CLC member is the best way to insure a fine car  can be purchased with confidence. We often give each other good deals , and enjoy keeping our Cads  "in the family". Generally few/no problems purchasing by "remote control". You are learning well , and with or without a Cadillac , you should join CLC ASAP. How is that coming ? Do you need some help with that ?  - Carl

TheFrenchGuy

I forgot my password, my browser knows it but I don't and there is no "I forgot my password" link on the forum... And I need this password to join the CLC ! If you've got a clue about this little problem...

Thanks for encouraging me !

And thanks for helping me out once again !
L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

OH THOSE PASSWORDS ! I live in constant fear of being asked for some of mine. I hope someone reading this can help you. I have had to beg for help , which I got. I suspect you and I are not the only ones. HELP ANYONE ?

Jay Friedman

I think the guy in charge of the forum (webmaster?) is Peter Gariepy, whose email address is petergariepyemail addresses not permitted   

Ask him what to do.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can fix up the password problem, and will do it when requested.

Thanks,

Bruce.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Carl Fielding

I spoke with Bruce (owner), the car see,s to have spent most of its life in the garage. Very little sun damage at all. His mother - in - law is now 95 , the car had not been driven in 3 - 4 years. Started up on the old gasoline and driven 2 times around the block. No service history available, it was driven ever less after her husband died around 30 years ago , resulting in shutdown sometime around 2013. Of course without service records , certain precautions should be taken. The radiator may be bad , the A/C will need work , compressor ? A good check of suspension bushings, (did you find out about upper control arm bushings ?) Etc., etc., etc., and on and on. Let the guys who own these cars give you tips about what and how to check. I will give you my quick three , but most of the guys here are vastly better mechanics than I am. It is only a slight exaggeration to say I couldn't even carry their shop rags for some of them. Oh , I do have the owners direct email , if you can figure a way to streamline this. You will need a good mechanic to look at this one. You certainly will have to do at least a few things on a 40 year old car with 75,000 miles which has not been driven for a while. Not major overhaul unless it has been suffering extreme deferred maintenance for some time. This does appear to be a worthwhile car to put a bit of time and money into, under the circumstances.

Again the problem is time is against you. If you were a member this transaction could conceivably be handled for you with confidence. Maybe even without your membership. You are building up a fan club here , and I am sure you will take that ol' Devil(le) Bruce up on his offer to facilitate your membership.
Again , good eye , Laurent !  - Carl

TheFrenchGuy

Hi Carl !

I'm gonna do my best to get this car if it's really worth. I will contact the owner by mail through CL to get an appointment as soon as possible after me and my friend recovered from the jet lag. Once again they are skilled experts of American classic cars so I can rely on them to check the car thoroughly !

For the time being I'm about to send an Email to the administrator (The other Bruce) to solve this password problem. As soon as I get it back or a new one I will join the CLC community 'cause I owe you (Cadillac owners and members of this forum) big for all the help and care you poured on me. Carl, I don't forget my promise to send you a great bottle of french wine, I will fulfill it as soon as I'm back in France.

With or without Cadillac to bring back, this epic journey is about to become something big, I already loved the Cadillac now I also love the owner's frame of mind so even if I don't get it right now, I'll keep on trying for years to come, this is a second reason to join the CLC community as soon as possible !

Thanks again to all the kind people who gave and still give me precious tips and friendly support.

Friendly yours, Laurent
L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

Laurent , other than car sales between fellow club members , these transactions are seldom cooperative. Two exceptions would be FIRM PRICE sellers , and cars which are offered under market. If I encounter a deal like that , I feel it is insulting to negotiate. IF YOU HAVE NOT YET CONTACTED THE OWNER , PLEASE REFRAIN. The logic here is that without a significant non-refundable down payment , say $1000 , you will not be able to impede the sale of this car to your benefit in any way whatsoever. Meaning that during the two weeks that will have passed since the car first appeared, and your meeting it, the car will have sold , or it will not have. If sold , it was probably a pretty good deal. If still on the market , maybe not such a good deal. You have expressed an interest in knocking $500 off Bruce's firm price. That is impolite in the first week or perhaps more on the market at a firm price. If there is very little interest over time , firm gets soft. Your only advantage here (re : price negotiation) , is also a disadvantage. It means that time on the market makes it less likely to be a good deal for you , or anyone else. Now , without going into detail here , which would take us to CAR DEALING 301 , I had done some clever set up work for you in order to give you a chance of a bit of softness after 2 weeks on the market. If you respond quickly and eagerly hoping the car will wait for you : bye bye $500 price drop. He says firm , but after two weeks , the gentlman's implied 10% discount may perhaps prevail. Remember , in order to knock that $500 off the price , you would probably have to slap $4500  cash down on the hood or trunk , and split the difference. Some people would not be impressed , a few would tell you : "Hey , Frenchie , do you know what FIRM means ?"

O.K. CAR DEALING 101 , DAY ONE : The cardinal rule of used car buying is : IF YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE INTENDED CAR , SAY NOTHING. NOTHING ! NOTHING AT ALL !

When I found out there are no service records on this car , my "mmmmmmm" response was a means of saying something BAD about the car. When I asked if the car was started on 3 or 4 year old gasoline , and asked if he knew about old gas , that is another non-confrontational insult. Asking how old the good looking tires were , finding out he had no idea (obviously 4 years old at an absolute minimum , maybe 20 years old or , HEY , more than that) , a very short tutorial about D.O.T. codes , and the refusal of tire dealers to touch tires over 10 years old (other to take them off and discard them no matter if they have only 3 miles in 10 years on them) , is also non-confrontational , but less than complimentary.

You will have more to deal with than tires and gasoline on a 40 year old car with 75,000 miles on it , which has accumulated deferred maintenance, and significant down time.

Please re-read CAR DEALING 101 above.

IF YOU HAVE NOT YET CONTACTED THE OWNER , DON'T , unless you want to risk losing a down payment. Or needlessly throw out a possible negotiating posture.Bruce will sell the car to first person willing to pay for it , appointment to see irrelevant.

I am here for you , let me do some of the legwork before you arrive. I advocate in favor of you , my fellow CLC member , LET ME BE THE FIRST OR SECOND TO WELCOME YOU !
                                                 - Carl Fielding , CLC 10797

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Laurent,

I have sent you an email with your new password.

No good sending a PM as you wouldn't be able to log back in to read it.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Have fun in USA, the Yanks are a friendly lot.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV