News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Windshield Wipers always on, 76 Eldorado with interval

Started by eliyahu, February 10, 2017, 11:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eliyahu

Hello to all,

I have a 1976  Eldorado Convertible with the interval timing on the wipers.

A short while back I was driving there was a mist so I turned the wipers to interval. 

When I turned them off, they continued running.  And running.  And running.

I tried turning the car off and on, moving the switch, etc, still ran.

so, I tried a few things:  one works: I disconnected the wire to the wiper motor for the interval and then they returned to off. 
The next thing I tried was replacing the switch with another one that I bought off ebay that looks great.  Same symptoms so I put the original switch back.

oh, and another symptom that I thought was odd.   when I turn the wipers off, the go to the base position, but do not return to bottom--If I turn them on they first return to the bottom of their travel, then start anew.  So, I turn it back to on until it returns to the bottom of the travel, and quickly turn it off.

Has anyone else had this problem and what is the solution? 

Eli

TJ Hopland

You may have multiple issues.   The timer circuit they used then used components that don't age well so its possible that something in the timer circuit has failed and is confusing things.   I don't remember the details but there are interactions that can happen between the park circuit and the wash system that can cause symptoms like you are having.   The basic concept of the delay wipers was the same through the 80's but there were slight differences year to year so I would have to see a 76 manual which I don't have to refresh my memory on the specifics.    I think what I did last time when I ran into this was disconnected a wire that had to do with the wash meaning I have to turn the wipers on before I hit the wash button and then off when the wash is done.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason