News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 Deville Changing Power Window Motor

Started by Coupe Deville, February 11, 2017, 11:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone.

The drivers window motor on my 1972 Coupe Deville is starting to go out. It's gotten to the point where i'm not rolling it down in fear that I won't be able to get it back up. I am going to order a replacement soon. (If anyone could recommend a place that would be great) I have the fisher body book for 1972 and It mentioned getting access to the window motor. From what I have read you need to cut or drill holes where the three dimples are on the door sheet metal, and then this will give you access to the window motor bolts? I would really prefer not drilling any holes in my door, but if it has to be done I will.
My question is, has anyone done this on a 70s Cadillac before that could give me some tips to getting the window motor out? If you could post your experience that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Scot Minesinger

I did the job on a 1972 Eldorado.  You should be able to buy the motor on Rock Auto, get the good one.  The Fisher body manual tells how to do it, but not well.  One thing to keep in mind is the window and mechanisms are heavy.  They have kind of a scissor operation.  You need to keep this supported.  The scissor mechanism can come down and take off a few fingers, so be careful.  You are mechanically inclined so you should be OK.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

You have a printout old where you are supposed to drill the holes but they are never quite in the correct spot. I drilled them slightly smaller and then used the dreamel with the sanding wheel to round the hole out enough to get the socket in.
What makes you think it is the motor? Does it smell hot, etc, or just go up very slowly or intermittently? Before you spend any $$, be sure to lube everything well. When you get the motor out, the gear wheel comes off. Clean the old grease out under there. It turns rock hard and slows everything down.
Lastly, it could be a bad contact/connection on/in the switch.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Coupe Deville

Hello Scot and Jeff. Thanks for the replies.

The window motor started acting up last month. One night it wouldn't go up, then it started working again 2 minuets later. Then it happened on the freeway in the rain, so I pulled off and opened and slammed the door shut and it started working again. It has been happening more and more frequently in the past week. I don't think its the switch because if you tap the bottom of the door panel with your fist the window comes back up. It's almost like there is a dead spot in the motor windings. It will die rolling up or down in different positions and intermittently. I was planning on just purchasing a new motor and swapping them out in fear of making the original motor worse upon disassembly and then be stuck with the window down until I fixed it. Unfortunately, I only have outside parking at my house. Guess I could always put the car cover on if I had to. I was reading some other threads about the scissor mechanism and some spring loaded arm that helps the window up? People were giving warnings about it breaking fingers, like you said Scot. I have not used the drivers window in two days. The last few times I used it was very slow going up and down.

Thanks for your help.

Gavin
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Scot Minesinger

Just jump the switch out to see if that is it or not, could be.  Although the switch failures I suffered the window always moved up and down fine.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

You can check it rather simply. With the car not running, keep exercising the window until it stops. When the motor runs, your headlights will dim, the blower will slow,etc. When it stops working, are your lights still dim/blower slow? If so, then the switch is working. If not then the motor isn't pulling power. Unless there is a dead short in the motor it should still be pulling power. This little test will let you know if the switch is working. Also, if you help the window up, will it still work without dead spots? Check the plug at the motor too.
If/when you pull the motor, take the gear off. You will see what I mean when you have it off. There is probably grease back there that is so thick it will hardly turn. You can use a small radiator hose clamp on the slide pole of the window mechanism to keep the window up with the motor out.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Coupe Deville

Hello again.

I still haven't taken the window motor out yet, but I want to very soon. I did the test that you suggested Jeff, and it looks like it it the motor at fault. I am going to pull it but honestly, I'm a little intimidated by the regular spring. I've been reading some other threads and it made me reluctant to rip the motor out. What is the procedure for keeping the regulator arm from moving with the motor removed for diognosis/replacement? I've worked on power window regulators on other cars but I do not remember encountering this.

Thank you for the help.

-Gavin

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

It's been a while since I did mine but I really didn't have any problems. There is a vertical tube in the door that everything rides up/down on. I just used a heater hose type clamp around the tube to keep the window up.
Before you pill it out, lube everything well first. Everything was like molasses in there on mine.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373