News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac - Radio retrofit

Started by lorenzo2013, February 14, 2017, 11:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo2013

Hi -
As part of my restoration, I'm trying to keep the 'look' as original as possible.  While I have made (and plan to make) hidden modifications to improve the safety of the car (replacing some of the old wiring, installing relays for the headlights, etc) the only visible modification is probably the master cylinder, which is a dual piston - again, for safety reasons.

One thing I'm toying with is the radio.  I have no use for an AM radio, and the one I have doesn't even work.  I'm definitely going to be adding a new discreet head unit (possibly in the glove compartment), BUT - has anyone looked into modifying the two stock radio knobs to be able to control the head unit?  Would be great if the 'volume' on the original radio still controlled the aftermarket radio volume.  I obviously don't want to modify the external appearance.

Also, curious where anyone that's added an aftermarket stereo has mounted speakers.  I can get two 6x9s in the rear deck behind the rear seat without being visible (hidden under the deck fabric), and I can replace the current passenger side front speaker that's mounted in the dash, but wondering if anyone else has added any discreet speakers in the car?  Would be nice to have 4.  Had considered building into the kickpanel to the left of the parking brake, but I'm worried it will be visible.

Quentin Hall

Someone converts the am units to am fm. I often wondered if you could rob the guts out of a mid sixties unit.
Please don't use one of the cheap aftermarket retor ones that just destroy the look of a beautiful dash.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

David Greenburg

There are a number of people who will add FM and MP3 capability to your original radio. But it sounds like OP wants to go beyond that and make the original radio the control for a more sophisticated, hidden system.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scot Minesinger

Electro Tech received my stock 1970 Cadillac original radio and rebuilt the insides to a modern FM, MP-3 with blue tooth.  After reinstalling the original radio, it works great.  And it is nice to hear the phone thru speakers when top is down on highway.  You cannot tell whatsoever that this is not a stock Cadillac radio visually.  I replaced the speakers too.  When you turn on the radio it sounds way better than a 1970 Cadillac radio and that is the only way you can tell it is not stock.  I'm sure this could be done for your 1959 Cadillac radio.

Changing the function of the original knobs to do a unique special function desired - yes it could be done, but it would require some major electrical engineering and mechanical switching that could reach a cost prohibitive to even the most deep pocketed owners.  So probably the practical short answer is no the knobs cannot be changed to provide another function.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

lorenzo2013

Yeah i'm certainly not going to modify the external look - no cutting the dash, etc - externally/cosmetically I want it to look completely stock.

Electro Tech seems like it would do what i'm looking for - thanks for posting, i'll look into that.

Also want the sound quality to be improved; even if this means hiding one or two additional speakers around the car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

An owner I know was not pleased at all with the results he got with the AM/FM retrofit of the radio in his '57. That was decades ago and it was not cheap. Hopefully the technology has improved since.

Make sure you ask if the Wonderbar will continue to function.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

My 1970 Cadillac DVC radio with new speakers (two in dash because have stereo dash) and one rear, one in trunk, sound amazing. It is just like a modern car, only better.  Did same on my SDV, except rear package deck under back window holds two speakers.  Cannot imagine you would not be happy with sound.  Also, I have a windshield antenna, whereas the 1959 has a regular one, which is probably better.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

I soon found out windshield antennas are very poor.  And they are located about
as close as possible to my HEI ignition interference generator.  My cars got a
stainless mast antenna (with  spring at the bottom) that works and never breaks. 

Masts are vertically polarized, really not the best for primarily horizontally
polarized FM.  I'm working on a halo ant with preamp for the Honda.  Bruce Roe

lorenzo2013

Honestly I could care less about the stock radio working. As long as it lights up and looks original, realistically I'm never going to use it. And adding FM capabilities are just as useless to me as I never listen to the radio. Nor do I want to use a FM modulator to get outside sound sources (cd, ipod, etc) out of the speakers.

WTL

I have wondered aloud before whether or not one could install a headphone jack on to the stock Delco receiver, connect the Jack to some sort of FM transmitter or Bluetooth transmitter, which sends a signal to your aftermarket hidden receiver.  That way if you had a working am or FM original receiver it would broadcast through all the new components to more modern speakers and you could modulate the sound from the stock knobs.  Of course the quality would be only as good as as the quality coming out of the stock radio and you wouldn't have MP3 or anything like that. 

Edit; but thats apparently not what you really want.

fishnjim

Some of the early dash speakers aren't standard size by today's measures, so double check.   They are available but hard to find.   I didn't find until after I bought all dual voice 6x9s and then the right size one I bought wasn't exact either.   Metric vs SAE holes didn't align.   Some can also repair speakers, save the frames.
You can put speakers anywhere out of the weather, but you have to do mounting and upholstery.   There's zillions of stereo installers in most urban areas.
I'm wondering how they get around the stock AM dial, if they put FM or MP3 in, because my Retro sound/Classic car has a digital dial.   I'm a lifer cruze to muze type.   The stock knobs unfortunately do not fit the modern tuners.   They should come with sleeves but do not.   The plastic knobs look bad, my only disappointment.
My '58 had no rear factory speakers, but comes with the mounts in the sheet metal.   I cut out the package shelf and added speaker covers.   I got for free from a car stereo shop.   They have leftovers, the aftermarket come with, but they use the factory covers generally.  So pile up.   Just ask.   I haven't seen repro factory covers, so if any has source?   

TJ Hopland

Today the radio conversions seem to be based on 1 or 2 modern mini circuit boards.   Many people offer the conversion but most seem to be using the same boards.    They basically remove most or all of the internal electronics then often do a cosmetic restoration then install the modern new board that connects to the original controls.     Earlier before there were boards made specifically for this I think people were gutting modern radios and trying to transplant them into the old shells.    Those did often seem to be questionable for quality.

Did you check out these guys?   https://www.retromanufacturing.com/    They seem to have decent quality stuff at reasonable prices.  If they don't have a listing for your model they do have dimensions for the various plates so you can usually find something that either fits or is easily modified to fit your car then you pick out some knobs that look close and a 'screen protector' that looks close.    Sure it may not be an exact match but at least you get something that doesn't look totally out of place and its a decent price.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

David Greenburg

The FM converson I had in my '59, as well as the one that came in my '60 both kept the AM dial; when operating in FM mode, you need to learn where your stations are as measured by the AM dial.  Or set pushbuttons.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

M. Lipinski

Here's a different approach to modernizing our vintage sound systems; you don't really need to. I've got a fully functional factory wonderbar radio in my '56 however i rarely use it. Instead, I use a small portable Bose Bluetooth speaker that I place in the glovebox. I use my iPhone to access iTunes, plus apps to access any am or fm stations I might want. The sound from the Bluetooth comes through the dashboard and sounds better than the factory speaker.

lorenzo2013

Unfortunately I can't justify putting a portable speaker in the glovebox, or using a FM modulator. :(  I appreciate the suggestions though :)

Thinking for now, i'm going to stick with just putting an aftermarket head unit in the glove compartment, route the aux in under the carpet and to the front seat.  May route a remote volume knob under the steering column. 

As far as speakers - two 6x9s in the rear deck under the deck lining.  Replace the speaker in the front dash (not sure the size just yet, but even a 4x6 should be fine - would maybe require modifying the ear mount), and then one more speaker under the front driver side dash somewhere, maybe hidden above the kick panel.  That will leave me with 4x new speakers, which should give great mid to high range sound.  I can't justify a subwoofer in a 59 Cadillac as it just doesn't seem right, so will stick with the 4 (hidden) midrange speakers.

Jeff Wilk

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville