News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seat belts in a 1957 Eldorado Seville

Started by PKosnik, February 17, 2017, 09:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PKosnik

Hey all i've sorted out the Seville i purchased in January and I believe it's ready for a maiden voyage.  I'd like to put some lap belts in for safety (my daughters are excited for a ride), and i have read that the airplane style belts were available from the dealerships starting in 1957 but no factory dimples to drill until 1959.  My preference would be to stay with the style of what would have been available.  I'd like some input from the community before purchasing/installing, and would love to see pictures of what others have done, especially for the front seats.

I see that caddy daddy and OPGI both offer the belts, and this website offers them for considerably less money, and in more color options:  http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=sbp&Product_Code=1800-90&Category_Code=2-Point-Lap-Seatbelts

Anyone have specific experience with these vendors' seatbelts and/or think i should consider any others?

What lengths did folks use for the back seats?  Where specifically did you bolt them in?  Can you share pics of your details?

How about the front seats?  Do they need to be longer?  What length is good for the front?  I've seen some that bolt into the floor, but heard reference to a rail under the bench seat that could be used as an anchor rather than the floor?  Maybe the deanship used this rail?  If so, it seems this would be a cleaner install and somewhat more functional as if you adjust the seat position you don't have to re-adjust seatbelt.  Anyone have pictures?

Any advice on anything else i should consider?

Thanks!
Paul

Walter Youshock

The original seat belts were attached to the seat frame rail by crimped cables.  I took a set out of a sedan deville years ago.  So, if you got t-boned, hope that the seat bolts broke and the opposite door flew open and you were strapped to the seat.

I've seen early '60's cars with seat belts attached to the floor.  Not sure exactly when that practice became the norm.  Also hard to tell if that was Cadillac approved or aftermarket...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

I didn't fit seat belts to me '60 CDV, as after investigating what was required, I found that too much was needed to be done to do it properly.

You need to be aware of the following when fitting seat belts to any vehicle with a non-locking front seat back

Firstly, with a Coupe, or Convertible, it is necessary to install a seat back locking mechanism to stop the seat back from coming forward at will.

The reason for this important step is that if one was wearing seat belts in the front, and if a crash occurred, the inertia would cause the back of the seat to swing forward, and that weight pressing on your back, with you restrained either by a lap or a lap/sash belt would result in possible compression injuries.   But, these injuries could be lesser than the body flying forward, destroying the steering wheel.

It is worse if there is an unrestrained passenger in the back, as the weight of this person pressing on the back of the seat, thereby causing even more pressure injuries to the torso and everything contained therein.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

That's true.  There were several cases of people walking away from accidents after wearing lap belts only to suffer internal bleeding. 

These cars really weren't designed for seat belts but, in a low-impact crash, they MIGHT help.

Ever heat how Sammy Davis Jr. Lost his eye?

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham